Where did Vermetid snails come from?

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I don't remember vermetid snails being talked about 20 years ago. It seems like they appeared out of nowhere.
Anyone know how these pests were initially introduced?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I don't remember vermetid snails being talked about 20 years ago. It seems like they appeared out of nowhere.
I had them 20 years ago. I have them worse now :worried-face:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember hearing about them. I think I assumed at the time they actually looked like a snail and not a tube worm. Fast forward a few years.... THAT'S what those brown pokey things are.

I also thought 20 years ago bristle worms were finally considered good....now some still consider them bad...

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too new to say for sure but doubt they're a new thing just because:
I see 11+ year old videos on YouTube (just from quick search) discussing eradication methods and I doubt that YouTube has been around for 20 years, but could be wrong.

My same live rock has been in my tanks for a little less than 3 years and I just started seeing my first vermetid snails a couple of months ago. *seems like they're pretty adept at sneaking in on something eventually

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mainly as hitchhikers amongst rock and coral purchases

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I said that they weren't around then was because I never had a tank that most surfaces look like a porcupine.

I don't know how they got back into my system that was a reset.

135 gallons net volume
Restarted with 40 lbs kpaquatics live rock, 10 liters syropax, 10 liter matrix. All water was new, none transferred. I did have some corals that made it through the crash. Those were temporarily in a 40 breeder. When I transferred back I only cut a very small frag of each and I was really careful not to introduce them another way. It took about 6 months for me to see them again in the restart tank. Did they maybe come from the kpquatics rock I have not emailed them to see if it comes in in their rock but I did not see any.

They are the small ones that don't have the netting. I've been running uv in the hopes of slowing their growth down, we'll see. I bought 20 bumble bee snails but I don't really understand how they would get in thoses small tubes.

IME, because of these worms, I cannot introduce any kind of bottled foods like Red Sea AB+ because I have observed that it increases the population.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back