Where did you source your Dragonfaced Pipefish?

Would you order pipefish fish via LiveAquaria?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I'd order them via a different site

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd order them through my LFS

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

*My questions:

- Where did you source yours?

- Has anyone had success easily sourcing a pair?

- Would you recommend businesses like LiveAquaria when it comes to Syngnathidae?

- Any tips?

I've been deep diving on research of pipefish and hope to acquire a pair for my tank. The only other fish I have are 2 juvenile clowns (a. ocellaris) in a 40gal tank, and I think a pipefish pair would be a great addition.

That said, and as you all know, I'm sure it's virtually impossible to find them captive bred - I've inquired in my area amongst our reef groups and a few are on the lookout for a local source. I'm hesitant to order them off websites, such as LiveAquaria, as I've read so many horror stories about DOA or soon after.

My tank has tons of copepods and amphipods so they'd have a food source right away, and I'm planning to supplement by growing cultures of phytoplankton and zooplankton, or seek sources of baby brine shrimp as needed, etc. I just mainly want to start on the right foot with healthy pipefish and ideally a pair as I'd like to try captive breeding them down the line.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i'm sorry to say this,but i think a 40 is way too small,they like to roam large tank lots of rock,well established ,jmo, :cool:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably source my blue stripes from an LFS when it's time. Barring that, I'd go with a known pipefish/seahorse breeder (Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy for example). If they can't, then I'd probably go for a place like Marine Collector's or similar. If none of those are viable, then I'd go with LiveAquaria. Although there is an argument to getting known pairs from Diver's Den, which would be better than just buying half a dozen from LiveAquaria...

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be possible for your LFS to get you a pair. I've done it with other fish a few times. But if all else fails, the chance of DOA when you order online is pretty low. I haven't gotten a DOA in 3 years so far.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably source my blue stripes from an LFS when it's time. Barring that, I'd go with a known pipefish/seahorse breeder (Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy for example). If they can't, then I'd probably go for a place like Marine Collector's or similar. If none of those are viable, then I'd go with LiveAquaria. Although there is an argument to getting known pairs from Diver's Den, which would be better than just buying half a dozen from LiveAquaria...
Thanks for the leads, good ideas as well!

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

*My questions:

- Would you recommend businesses like LiveAquaria when it comes to Syngnathidae?

- Any tips?

I've been deep diving on research of pipefish and hope to acquire a pair for my tank. The only other fish I have are 2 juvenile clowns (a. ocellaris) in a 40gal tank, and I think a pipefish pair would be a great addition.

That said, and as you all know, I'm sure it's virtually impossible to find them captive bred - I've inquired in my area amongst our reef groups and a few are on the lookout for a local source. I'm hesitant to order them off websites, such as LiveAquaria, as I've read so many horror stories about DOA or soon after.

My tank has tons of copepods and amphipods so they'd have a food source right away, and I'm planning to supplement by growing cultures of phytoplankton and zooplankton, or seek sources of baby brine shrimp as needed, etc. I just mainly want to start on the right foot with healthy pipefish and ideally a pair as I'd like to try captive breeding them down the line.

Culturing your own copepods is a great idea. If you find you need more phytoplankton than you can grow, let us know. We sell blends of phytoplankton that are highly concentrated. A number of our customers culture zooplankton with our foods.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just wanted to update and say thanks for the input everyone! My favorite LFS was awesome and stocked a whole batch of Dragonfaced pipefish and I was able to inspect and select a couple who were acting paired, active, and healthy!

They're more and more active everyday and absolutely desemating my pod population, but I'm culturing phyto, pods, and baby brine to continuously suppliment their diets. :)

Here's a few pics:
MVIMG_20201014_104814.jpg
MVIMG_20201011_181711.jpg
MVIMG_20201011_182639.jpg
MVIMG_20201011_182824.jpg
MVIMG_20201011_181904.jpg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

*My questions:

- Any tips?

Check out this site they have mostly sea horses but do sell some pipes...everything is captive bred

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this site they have mostly sea horses but do sell some pipes...everything is captive bred
I did check them out but wasn't finding captive bred dragonfaced yet. Though that is my goal (to breed them).

Not *everything* on that site is captive bred, only what they specifically designate in the title "captive bred". They do have a rigid quarantine process though.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cyberNative how are your pipefish working out in your 40? What other inhabitants do you have (believe you said a pair of clowns). What kind of flow do you have in the tank?

looking to do the same thing with my 40, pipefish and clowns or pipefish and other fish - not sure about a pair of pipefish though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back