Where do I put my fish???

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I put my fish???: Tank Move Tonight!

For reasons that would bore you all, I have to take down my current set up and it will be down for a couple of months. I am going to set up a new tank in January and I would prefer not to sell all of my livestock. So, I have two temporary tanks and I am trying to figure out how to distribute my fish.

Stocking List: (all the fish are small for their species)
  • Clownfish Pair
  • Purple Tang
  • Green Banded Goby
  • Tail Spot Blenny
  • Golden Midas Blenny
  • Blue Assessors (2)
  • Firefish
  • Randall Goby Pair(2) w/ pistol shrimp
  • Swissguard Basslet
What I was thinking
Tank #1: 20g Frag tank - 24 x 24 x 9
  • Purple Tang
  • Assessors
  • Firefish
  • Randall Goby Pair
Tank #2: Cadlights 22g - 24 x 14.5 x 14.5
  • Clownfish Pair
  • Green Banded Goby
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Golden Midas
  • Swissguard
How does this sound? If the consensus is that it won't work then I will sale off a few fish and replace them. I am just very happy with all of them and would prefer not too. Will this work for 6 weeks without being bad for the fish?

TIA.

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you buy a couple of the large tote/storage containers? The options you've given are going to put both tanks at risk of being way overloaded, even for 6 weeks. You'll probably be battling ammonia issues, which will be very stressful for the fish. If possible, a couple 40 gallon totes would work out much better, with a HOB powerfilter on each.

Otherwise, if you need to go with the options you listed, I'd recommend making sure you're able to do large water changes, every couple of days, while also testing for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tote / storage containers? Do you mean like the big plastic ones? I have a couple of those and an old Fluval filter. Would something like that work?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's exactly what I mean. I just think that 20 gallons is way too small of a quantity of water for more than a couple of fish. If you could divide each of your groups into a couple 40 gallon, or more containers, it'd be much better. Maybe even get one of those 100 gallon stock tanks, from a farm/feed store. I have one and find myself using it quite often. It was a great investment! They come in smaller sizes, also.

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could use substrate and live rock, keep the oxygen up ( skimmer on a milk carate), and don't fill it too high. That increases the liklihood of floor models!

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, planning the temp tank move tonight. Here is the plan...open to any and all suggestions to make it more smooth

I will have three set ups:
1. Frag tank - already set up and cycled
2. Large Rubber tub for fish and live rock - planning on putting current tank water in rubber tub with a koralia and Fluval Canister filter for flow (will run Chemi pure elite and filter floss in canister)
3. Temp. display - I will be using current tank water and live rock in a 22g Cadlight set up

The move:
1. Move all corals to existing frag tank...plan on acclimating as I would newly purchased corals (under same light as current set up).
2. Move most fish to tub with current tank water and live rock
3. Move a select few corals and 3 of my fish to Cadlight set up with some of the water and live rock from current display.

Any advice on making this move in one night and avoiding loss of livestock?

TIA.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back