Where do new new corals come from?

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be known information but im curious where or how these farms are getting new corals?
Like example A Homewrecker did that just start as one special wild specimen and every one has been fragged from that?
Just seems to be so many wild colorations and some new ones all the time where do they come from?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This may be known information but im curious where or how these farms are getting new corals?
Like example A Homewrecker did that just start as one special wild specimen and every one has been fragged from that?
Just seems to be so many wild colorations and some new ones all the time where do they come from?
Divers and collectors make discoveries and then comes the naming process

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most corals are selectively bred through aquaculture to get the desired colors but wild collection does still take place legally...I actually know a guy in Indonesia who works for one of the collection companies and might be going down to Bali to visit him...he said he'd give me a tour of the collection process which would be a pretty amazing experience! If I go this summer I'll be sure to document my trip on here so everyone can learn more about the modern day collection process!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a big write up I read somewhere on jason fox’s aquaculturing. He does his own collecting based on what he thinks they will color up to be. He also says that he may have 10 separate frags placed in different areas of his tanks just to see what they will color up to look like based on par and spectrum it’s getting in that spot. This tells me that these people shelling out loads of money based on a coral’s name are absolute wack jobs because there is a very good chance it won’t look the same in their tank. Too many people falling victim to the name game. Personally if I’m fragging and selling coral, yes I may spend a few hundred dollars on a frag, but I’m going to take extra joy in selling my frag at a fraction of the cost in hopes of blowing the bottom out of the market if I can! For instance I have predator zoas right now I paid $75 a polyp for but have no intention of selling for more than $25 a polyp especially when I saw a 5 polyp frag for sale two days ago for $750, I about died laughing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back