Where Do You Buy Your "Filter Socks" From?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I use mesh socks. I purchase 300's off ebay for a very good price. The reason I go with 300's is that the washing....simply rubbing fabric to fabric under the faucet for a minute or so....causes the hole size to reduce....maybe to 200 or less. So I'm happy getting four to five days out of a sock before it needs to be cleaned.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Priced for my budget. Do you machine wash them? Thanks a bunch! [emoji4]

Yes I'm using a total of 5 socks, so I put a load in washer with a splash of bleach and hot water. Then I run a cycle with just plain cold water. I then soak in ro water and a squirt of prime, I know overkill. I also found that if you rinse through with either some tank water or fresh saltwater it will prevent the skimmer going nuts, which it sometimes seem to do when you put in a clean sock .

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to get mine on eBay for about 7.00 each when I used them. I have moved away from filter socks as I get tired of washing them. I use cheap Poly-Fil from Walmart no washing and just throw it away and usually about 3.50-4.50 for a big bag of it and I don't even run that all the time either.

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ou8me2

What do use to hold the poly- fil?

I like the idea of being able to throw it away and just add more

I just use a media bag like you would use for carbon. I use one that has probably larger holes than normal as you want the water to be able to flow through it fairly well without slowing the flow too much.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new sump has 2 X 4" rings build in it.. However I am considering using poly filter or sponge, and filter sock Mesh... I've used large filter socks for 4 years and I love how they work but I wish they could be disposable and cheap as I don't appreciate wet and/or dry filter socks hanging everywhere....

IME filter socks do their jobs, but they hold too much detritus that would have been removed from the water column by the skimmer. Detritus settles in the sump and you easily stir it up to go into your skimmer or siphon it out during Water change..

Last edited:

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS skimz. I have six.Sump takes two. Machine wash four a week. Run washer full load cold nothing in it to rinse. Then with a cup of bleach. Finally with nothing to rinse. On well water. Eventually gonna purchase more so I can slack a week having to carry it down to the creek and beat on the rocks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back