Where do you get your anemones?

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering where people are sourcing their anemones from? I am especially looking for information on where people are getting Carpet anemones, H. mags, H. malu, H. crispa, H. aurora, and "exotic" or brightly colored long tentacle anemones.

The LFS in my area (Manhattan) seem to not carry much, so I am mainly looking for online retailers.

Thanks.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering where people are sourcing their anemones from? I am especially looking for information on where people are getting Carpet anemones, H. mags, H. malu, H. crispa, H. aurora, and "exotic" or brightly colored long tentacle anemones.

The LFS in my area (Manhattan) seem to not carry much, so I am mainly looking for online retailers.

Thanks.
They are hard to find. A few sites to check:
PacificEastAquaculture.com
CoralsAnonymous.com
AquaSD.com
ReefChasers.com
eBay occasionally

Also keep in mind, carpets especially are often misidentified. Sometimes this works in your favor (got a “mertens” that was really a gig for $69.). So if it’s not wysiwyg, it’s always good to ask for pics or ask questions. I purchased several gigantea and instead received haddoni, that seems to be the most common misidentification. Some sites seem to call all carpet anemones gigantea. You can get basic haddoni at a lot of places, everything else is hard to find and of course $$$$.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you want quantity and are a bit of a risk taker, look into LivestockUSA.org

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices are crazy low .... has anyone bought from them and any firat hand experience?
I have. You will pay a certain amount for shipping. Typically $400-$800, plus each item (super-cheap in most cases), plus, shipping from LAX to local airport ~$100. It still works out to a great deal of $600-$1000 for 50+ anemones.
It’s trans-shipping, so direct from the country of origin to LAX to you. You should expect some losses and need the system to receive, acclimate, and treat if needed, 50+ anemones all at once. Not something to sneeze at.

The company was great to work with and the livestock arrived in good condition for the most part. I’ll admit I significantly under estimated the needs for receiving and acclimating everything. Also anemone identification and naming from the suppliers is atrocious. So it’s a bit of a gamble on what you’re ordering and what you’ll actually receive.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing regardless of where you order them is being prepared for when they arrive. Separate hospital tank, ability to do lots of water changes and enough cipro on hand for treatment.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing regardless of where you order them is being prepared for when they arrive. Separate hospital tank, ability to do lots of water changes and enough cipro on hand for treatment.
I get a lot of ear infections ;-)

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you come to Jersey you can check ACC. I got my Mag from them. They also bring in various kind of carpets.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back