Where do you get your CUC

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for clean up crew vendors/places. My last order over half were doa. Shipping took 4 days instead of 2. Normally I get in 2. Just not as happy with recent orders. Also, this week I found an aiptasia. I haven't added any rocks or corals since Feb. and never saw any. So I'm worried this one came in on the cuc. And that is not acceptable. Never had this happen before and I've ordered a ton from this place. So would love to know/have recommendations.

Also, what are your best algae eaters? I have a mix. I just got rid of algae and some is coming back--yes, working on parameters. Was on vacation for a week so sitter prob. overfed! So I want to add greatly to what I have. I know urchins are good but I have too many loose corals/frags and don't want to play rescue the corals (plus if they drop them at the back of tank, be hard for me to get-short arms, tall spires in landscape....)

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with reef cleaners online. My best algae eaters are my herb fish. I have 3 tangs plus foxface plus coral beauty and bluethroat trigger in my 180g. Foxface is the fattest so I assume he is the best.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all urchins are collectors, but many non-collecting urchins are either venomous or pointy and stabby. They really are unsurpassed for general algae eating, though, so I'd still risk a tuxedo urchin with the frags. They're just so darned cute. They're also one of the few inverts that have been shown not to be carriers for ich, so they're relatively safe to put into displays.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Cleaners here as well. Great experience last order.

I would be shocked to see aiptasia come from an invert or snail.

The more likely and very logical thing is that a teeny tiny spore came in with a coral and you never saw it because you couldn't. Fast forward a couple months and poof it's big enough to find and see. Probably 1 of 20 or so but the only one easily seen right now. Happens to all of us.

I am glad I found a peppermint shrimp that loves aiptasia and leaves corals alone. If I ever find a baby aiptasia, it is gone within a day or two. The shrimp is very active at night hunting them down.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Cleaners here as well. Great experience last order.

I would be shocked to see aiptasia come from an invert or snail.

The more likely and very logical thing is that a teeny tiny spore came in with a coral and you never saw it because you couldn't. Fast forward a couple months and poof it's big enough to find and see. Probably 1 of 20 or so but the only one easily seen right now. Happens to all of us.

I am glad I found a peppermint shrimp that loves aiptasia and leaves corals alone. If I ever find a baby aiptasia, it is gone within a day or two. The shrimp is very active at night hunting them down.
That could be but where it was in the tank I look at every day-right up front. I killed it and hope there are no more. RC is where I've been getting mine. This last order was a large order and a disaster, and even my figures of the Deads and refund didn't match. Plus, dead in shell on tank sand, I had no idea if they were hermits or ceriths etc. Had to just count and guess. Hubby dumped everything in as soon as they arrive--very late to at least try to save some (some don't move for a day or 2 or 3.) The front of my tank is a snail graveyard.

I'll prob. try them again as I've used them for years but this last experience was an expensive fail.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a yellow tang, foxface, coral beauty and blue tang (dori) and an algae eater. I even withhold nori to get them to eat the algae.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners here also. I’ve only had a couple dead snails here and there from them. Usually prefer is okay.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all urchins are collectors, but many non-collecting urchins are either venomous or pointy and stabby. They really are unsurpassed for general algae eating, though, so I'd still risk a tuxedo urchin with the frags. They're just so darned cute. They're also one of the few inverts that have been shown not to be carriers for ich, so they're relatively safe to put into displays.
I might have to cave and try one. Means I have to disrupt corals to glue down as a lot are just wedged. What are some of the non collectors? I do like the tuxedos. Maybe if I gave it 3d printed hats lol's

Billscountry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceans garden has a build your own clean up crew as well. They only offer overnight shipping. Everything from my last order with them arrived great.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to cave and try one. Means I have to disrupt corals to glue down as a lot are just wedged. What are some of the non collectors? I do like the tuxedos. Maybe if I gave it 3d printed hats lol's
Shortspine urchins are nocturnal and not as active as tuxedo urchins. They can be stabby, so care must be taken.

Longspine urchins are even more of a risk to careless hands (and careless handlers). While they're very capable cleaners, they're too much of a risk for me.

That being said, I was foolish enough to buy my beautiful fire urchin, which is certainly the most gorgeous invert that I've owned...and a definite health risk. I'm always very, very aware where this beastie is whenever I put my hands in the tank.

Pencil urchins are probably the least painful option...but some species are known to be corallivores. You'll probably get lucky and get one of the reef-safe ones. Probably.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My frags are all glued down except a mushroom on a small piece of rubble. I’ve found it flipped a few times, but no big deal. I have a pincushion and it usually just carries around pieces of my reborn substrate.

As for reef cleaners I’ve ordered a few times but usually pay for overnight shipping-I’ve never had any losses. Although I was bummed they forgot a couple hermits the one time but he promptly refunded me plus a little extra.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get all my snails local. I wait a couple weeks after they get an order so I know mine will live.
Best algae eaters are trochus and asreas. I run 1 per gal. I have 25 in my 20g nano cube with no algae present.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red tuxedo wears a hat :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortspine urchins are nocturnal and not as active as tuxedo urchins. They can be stabby, so care must be taken.

Longspine urchins are even more of a risk to careless hands (and careless handlers). While they're very capable cleaners, they're too much of a risk for me.

That being said, I was foolish enough to buy my beautiful fire urchin, which is certainly the most gorgeous invert that I've owned...and a definite health risk. I'm always very, very aware where this beastie is whenever I put my hands in the tank.

Pencil urchins are probably the least painful option...but some species are known to be corallivores. You'll probably get lucky and get one of the reef-safe ones. Probably.
Def will stick to tuxedos!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy from reef cleaners also but I think the key is not to go cheapskate and pay for Overnight Shipping. If you just take standard shipping there are no guarantees on when it will arrive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back