Where do you get your PODS and why?

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am just curious where you all get your PODS? I am looking to get a handful of different species/types to add to my tank.

Thanks!
Scott

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
podyourreef.com
Tbh, I tried them first. They were cheaper. When my pods arrived they gave me extra bottles of pods as a gift, and the bottles were absolutely filled with them. That small gesture was enough to earn my business from now on

OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
podyourreef.com
Tbh, I tried them first. They were cheaper. When my pods arrived they gave me extra bottles of pods as a gift, and the bottles were absolutely filled with them. That small gesture was enough to earn my business from now on
I have never heard of them bofore! Thanks for the pointer!

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
podyourreef.com

Another vote for podyourreef.com

Great product and great service.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
podyourreef.com

Wow, they are so much cheaper than Algae Barn. I've used Algae Barn a few times and love their product, but god are they expensive.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Nutrition. I've ordered from Algae Barn and R2R hobbyists.

Algae Barn, at the time, the jar of pods looked rather empty to my naked eye. I did not order enough per their recommendation and that was probably part of my issue. Also, I do trust there were smaller pods in there but visually, there were much fewer than others I've gotten pods from. In dosing them to the tank, over a year later, they still didn't populate the tank, but again, I dosed maybe 1/3 of what they recommend.

R2R seller had a decent number of pods with good reviews but it was my unfortunate luck to be seemingly the only buyer who got a bottle of dead pods.

Reef Nutrition is sold locally at my LFS. That's the downside, I think thats the only way you can get them, in a local store. But the bottle was teeming with pods. I used them to try and propagate which I was less than completely successful at but I do know they come chalked full of adult pods, presumably which many have eggs. When I get enough to dose mt tank again, I will go grab those locally myself.

Another benefit, if you're a believer in solid QT practices, Reef Nutrition publicizes they grow pods in water that has never seen or been near fish. Algae Barn states similar claims as well. Just FYI.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition tigger pods, Easier to see and fast reproductive cycle.
I score some from Atlantic Biotechnology on amazon $24.99 with free shipping with prime but they just sold out
1588790145687.png

I am culturing mine 1588790177429.png

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods from the research I have done proliferate like mad.
So one jar will or should do more than one needs.
Unless you have a dragonette or the like.

Some retailers just want to sell as much as they can.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Reef Nutrition, Algae Barn, and LFS that grow their own. I use those because they use super clean systems devoid of fish. I agree though that Algae Barn is a little pricey but once you get your tank seeded they should continue to proliferate as long as they are fed and not wipeout. ALso Reef Nutrition is now selling their products online during this pandemic. Seems like the pricing is the same as the LFS.

OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition tigger pods, Easier to see and fast reproductive cycle.
I score some from Atlantic Biotechnology on amazon $24.99 with free shipping with prime but they just sold out
1588790145687.png

I am culturing mine 1588790177429.png
This is amazing! What a great set up. What do you feed them?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing! What a great set up. What do you feed them?
Hydro Algal Fertilizer

The kit was $22.50 on amazon

1588814278955.png

Product description
This Phytoplankton Culturing Kit is perfect for anyone starting their own phytoplankton culture in their home. Included in each Kit: One 16oz bottle of very dense Nannochloropsis Phytoplankton - cultured from our very own petri dishes to assure that each culture is species-specific and contains the highest density count obtainable. This phytoplankton has been cultured using Hydro Algal Fertilizer, and RO/DI water mixed with Instant Ocean salt at a specific gravity of 1.020. One 4oz bottle of Hydro Algal Fertilizer as the culture growth medium. This fertilizer adheres to the Guillard f/2 formula, the gold-standard in the aquaria hobby. Contains vitamins B12, Thiamin, and Biotin to ensure a proper balance for maximum health. Contains no Silicates. Two 3ml pipettes to administer fertilizer, feed tank occupants, etc. Two 1ml syringes, with dispensing caps. Two 3/16" rigid air tubes, approximately 12" each - perfect for use with 2L bottles. Approximately 3 feet of flexible air tubing - 3/16" ID, 1/4" OD. Tubing is perfect for use with included rigid air tubes, and most (if not all) aquarium air pumps. Includes common sense, written instructions on starting your own culture. Storage - Phytoplankton: To extend the viability of the phytoplankton contents past the 7-day growth cycle, remember to open each container (to assure gas exchange after shipping) immediately upon receipt, refrigerate contents, and invert bottle once daily (do not shake). In this manner, unused contents should retain potency for up to 30 days. Phytoplankton to be used as an inoculant should be used within 7 days of receipt, to assure maximum density. Hydro Algal Fertilizer: Keep unused fertilizer in cool, dark place for up to two years. Shake well before use.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pod your reef as well. Josh is the man. Super nice guy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back