Where do you think the hobby is heading? Any predictions or observations?

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the hobby constantly changing the future can tend to be a little erratic. Sometimes countries will close or limit collection of corals, like Aussie last year with Scolys limiting collection, or famously Hawaii with their livestock. Hardcore breeders releasing tank bred versions of popular fish. Trends coming and going with the newest hype corals! The hobby of reefing is ever growing and adapting, and with that being said! I would like to ask you all:

Where do you think the hobby is heading? is there any predictions, observations, or concerns you may have about our wonderful hobby?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty soon it’s going to be a sign of social status if the hobby keeps pricing itself higher and higher and the hype train keeps on chugging along.
I believe that is already true for many. A reef tank becomes a "jewelry case" to show off. I'm all for people displaying their accomplishments to be helpful to others. But to do it to take, instead of give, that is where I disagree.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the hobby becoming more restrictive from collecting wild caught animals. I think it will eventually go to all or mostly captive bred and aquacultured.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's will dissapear, online vendors will get bigger and stronger, eventually will be 2-3 main vendors that will control prices. Customer service will continue to suck and get worse, and prices will forever increase.
Hey, as long as the big box vendors open up super shops with no employees and self checkout kiosks! Ha

OP
OP
TheScientificReefer

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is going to invent a reef safe cure for cryptocaran irritans and become insanely rich. Any decade now...
It cant come soon enough haha I wish

I believe that is already true for many. A reef tank becomes a "jewelry case" to show off. I'm all for people displaying their accomplishments to be helpful to others. But to do it to take, instead of give, that is where I disagree.
I agree with this take. Corals and reef tanks in general are a commodity, they are "jewelry".

Corals have their hype and then it settles. Strats, Tiger Torch, HG, Amazeballs, certain Bounces, these were all coral in the $1000 range not even too long ago which are all under $500 now. The best thing about corals is that most tend to grow and they reach a wider audience as time goes on because of this. While a lot of high end coral are still very expensive ($500 range is still out of reach for a majority) they do become more accessible and deals easier to find.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between this 'jewelry' and, well, jewelry, is that only people in the hobby look at that gem tang and go 'wow expensive'. Everyone can see a big shiny rock and know it cost a lost, but looking at a tank most people just see 'fish'. I've had someone tell me to my face I was lying when I told them the coral was alive.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like In philosophy, you see waves of rationalism vs empiricism that come and go.

We started in the 60-70's being very experimentional, a true empiricism. Hobby was more accessible.

Years 2000, skimmers, controllers, dosers, automations you name it. Studies, articles, a true rationalism. Hobby gets expensive.

I don't know when... but I believe the hobby could shift back for empiricism, something more close to the early days, undergravel filters, Jabuert, dsb... or who knows what can appear next.

Stuff are getting so expensive, that it will force people to think alternative ways if they would like to keep or simply join the hobby.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like In philosophy, you see waves of rationalism vs empiricism that come and go.

We started in the 60-70's being very experimentional, a true empiricism. Hobby was more accessible.

Years 2000, skimmers, controllers, dosers, automations you name it. Studies, articles, a true rationalism. Hobby gets expensive.

I don't know when... but I believe the hobby could shift back for empiricism, something more close to the early days, undergravel filters, Jabuert, dsb... or who knows what can appear next.

Stuff are getting so expensive, that it will force people to think alternative ways if they would like to keep or simply join the hobby.
It's great that the hobby has grown to where there are many possibilities on setting up a modern reef tank and is true that a big tank with all the tech, sps colonies, and school of tangs is the "pinnacle" of the hobby and will be spendy to set up.

I feel many hobbyists still shoot for the stars when they should be settling for the moon...a smaller affordable system with a couple of cheap fish which could be run with less maintenance costs.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of people still running tanks this way (I mean, besides Paul B) but look at the look of the tank each method supports. If you like that 'pristine' 'perfect sand' 'spotless' running the tank the old school way is not going to work out.

OP
OP
TheScientificReefer

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Self cleaning nanotech glass? Nanomite in tank aiptasia terminators? AI disease and pest identification app? Biodegradable filter rolls that can be used as mulch?
I think were a 100 years out from these at least haha, Id love these

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back