Where does old equipment go?

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where do you think old equipment ends up? Does it get thrown away? Does it just sit on a shelf in the basement? Even if you give stuff to a fellow reefer what happens when they no longer use it. I'm a skimmer guy and you very rarely see any of the old classics for sale. The massive 12" body SWC skimmers, the WM Cones and my favorite the ATI Bubble masters. It was just a thought I had. I never see them on ebay or rarely if ever for sale on classifieds or facebook groups.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any classic stuff that I'm aware of but I have a room in the basement where I store old gear. I have 2 reeflo pumps, UV unit, xr15s, just to name a few. What the stuff is worth on the used market by the time shipping and PayPal fees are calculated I'll just hold onto it. I don't throw much away :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mass of the hobby are not online to post or discuss. They do float the for-sale forums and marketplaces. They snatch up this stuff to use or scavenge parts off of. For example, most of them have no interest in a new DC controllable skimmer, but they take or buy an old, good skimmer body and put a new reliable pump on it.

I have many older ER and ASM bodies that are a Sicce PSK away from outperforming any new skimmer on the market.

They can do math and know that a used PanWorld or AmpMaster pump that was free, or nearly free, that uses the same wattage as a large DC pump or Abyzz is a bargain.

These folks also have extra pumps laying around, lights, etc... and probably a few tanks.

What you see on this board, facebook, etc. are mostly frontrunners and bleeding edgers. Go to a local club swap meet and you can find all of these folks.

The junk like Odyssea, Jebao, etc. end up in the trash.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back