Where does one buy affordable coral online?

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a post on here talking about how coral is insanely expensive online right now, and I agree. However many people are saying that there are affordable places. What are those places? I am just getting back in to the hobby, and may want to buy something online that I can not find at a LFS.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the vendors on this site. I've used Mistresscorals personally, and was very happy with what I got. Also, auctions like piecesoftheocean, ebay, etc. I've won quite a few on piecesoftheocean and am happy with those as well. Usually 4+ per auction, and it's less than the collective 45 dollar shipping. I'd recommend buying more than 1 "cheaper" coral at once, so you can save on shipping costs

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the online sales if you want to save money.
Skip the lfs too.
Online a 40$ zoa is no 85 because shipping, unless you buy like 4 or 5 that’s dumb for a single zoa frag ect.
My lfs sells hammers for 80, Petco sells them for 90, I got a solid head that had been cut and healed for a few months for 5 bucks,
And the same guy sold me a nice chunk of gsp for 5 bucks.
Find local coral keepers,at the end of the day, if their tank is full and they have to do some trim, they will want those corals gone, and cheap to get them gone.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend was a crazy good live sale at @AquaSD. I bought several nice montis for $10, a fire orange digi for $5, and some really nice higher end SPS for $25-40. They also have some really good eBay deals that you can combine with shipping from a web order.

@BoomCorals has the largest frags I have ever purchased. Great quality classics at reasonable hobbyist prices.

@Budman's Corals has the highest overall color and quality frags. They come in looking exactly the same color and intensity you see on the website, and I swear they’re still growing in the bag when you get them. Every frag I’ve bought from him came in with polyps out in the bag, as happy as it would be in his own tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For general stuff, I like Pacific East too. For acropora, Boom or Battlecorals are good.

Hobbyists selling in the for-sale forum are good. Stay away from the ones who want retail with their trendy stuff and you can find some nice deals on some packs.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a post on here talking about how coral is insanely expensive online right now, and I agree. However many people are saying that there are affordable places. What are those places? I am just getting back in to the hobby, and may want to buy something online that I can not find at a LFS.
I do auctions

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at your profile and see you are new on here, and that you were looking at Aqua San Diego ‘s profile page.
I was looking at your profile to see where you are located. Aqua San Diego is in my neighborhood and a lot of on line sellers allow local pick up to avoid shipping costs and coral stress! As others mentioned there are a number of good sellers and sponsors on this site. Good luck, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you part of a local club? Get to know other hobbyist near you. Most will be willing to give you some frags. Once you have some, you can trade for others.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were would I find reef clubs in northern virginia?

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responding to the original post, one thing to keep in mind is the corals you choose. Tried-and-true old school strains, such as pearlberry, oregon tort, red planet, PC rainbow and the like are generally reasonably priced but some of the best looking corals around. High end pieces are often very speculative and the prices based on how a frag rather than how a colony looks.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to getting good deals is patience. Any decent LFS is going to be getting in new corals all the time. You just have to wait for the stuff you want. You also have to visit it a lot. Things can disappear fast. Give the LFS a list of what you want. If they are good they'll call you if it comes in. Online, start by checking out eBay and the marketplace section here. The problem with most online vendors is you do end up having to buy stuff you might not really want to offset the cost of shipping. A 5 or 10 dollar frag isn't worth it when you have to spend 40 bucks on shipping.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back