Where is everyone getting fish from?

nursingcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent orders this year were from Saltwaterfish.com and Bluezoo aquatics. I have used both retailers for numerous years.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to shop at a few LFS. I got a velvet outbreak from a purple tang I added to my tank from one of the newer LFS. Of course it was the last fish I was planning to add to my tank. The new LFS told me they QT all their fish with copper and prazi so I trusted them. It ended up wiping out most of my tank in a few days. I know it sounds backwards, but I no longer buy fish from LFS. Some of them would routinely have dead fish and/or blatant ich in their systems. When they do "QT" I suspect they are actually just keeping therapeutic levels of copper in their systems to suppress any disease.

I then bought from saltwaterfish.com and they were overall pretty good. They have a lot of sales and good prices. I had a lot of fish from them come in with diseases though. You definitely need to qt or observe before putting in your tank. I qt'ed with copper power and prazi.

I recently ordered from dr reef because I no longer wanted to qt myself and had a good experience with them. Some fish came in small, but overall they were really healthy and eating. I just placed another large order with them and hopefully that goes well.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 lfs very close to my home so I use them mostly. I also don't bother qt . Plop straight in the DT .

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is blasphemy on here, but if you have a good Petco, they have a pretty great selection of fish since they own liveaquaria, and they are ime no more or less healthy than the fish I get from lfs, other hobbyists, or online. They all have more or less the same suppliers.

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS in Glasgow exclusively! I tend to stay away from online vendors for livestock, bad experiences in the past.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious what you saw. I just got an order from Dr Reefs and was happy with what I got, everything was really healthy and recently placed another large order.

He only does copper for 2 weeks and runs copper below the recommended levels to be therapeutic.

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to shop at a few LFS. I got a velvet outbreak from a purple tang I added to my tank from one of the newer LFS. Of course it was the last fish I was planning to add to my tank. The new LFS told me they QT all their fish with copper and prazi so I trusted them. It ended up wiping out most of my tank in a few days. I know it sounds backwards, but I no longer buy fish from LFS. Some of them would routinely have dead fish and/or blatant ich in their systems. When they do "QT" I suspect they are actually just keeping therapeutic levels of copper in their systems to suppress any disease.

I then bought from saltwaterfish.com and they were overall pretty good. They have a lot of sales and good prices. I had a lot of fish from them come in with diseases though. You definitely need to qt or observe before putting in your tank. I qt'ed with copper power and prazi.

I recently ordered from dr reef because I no longer wanted to qt myself and had a good experience with them. Some fish came in small, but overall they were really healthy and eating. I just placed another large order with them and hopefully that goes well.
I've had similar experiences with SWF.com and now I'm ordering most of my stuff from Dr Reef as well.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a large order from TSM based on this thread. I hope it turns out well.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they have not seemed to be the same since Matt’s passing… packing, offering, pricing has been moving in the wrong direction for me.

So unfortunate

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they have not seemed to be the same since Matt’s passing… packing, offering, pricing has been moving in the wrong direction for me.

So unfortunate
Who/what hasn't been the same?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back