Where is everyone getting fish from?

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to get fish from DD before Petco bought them and completely destroyed the buisness they had going. Not only have they increased prices dramatically on most fish, their selection is sub par at best. Looking for any and all suggestions. I moved to Florida 2 years ago but there aren’t nearly as many saltwater stores as I had anticipated. Thank you in advance.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still LFS first. So should you. But if you don't have a quality LFS obviously the internet steps in.

I have been using DR. Reef when my LFS cannot get a specific fish. My first order wasn't so great with them. I won't go into the details other than to say for whatever reason the hosed up pretty bad.

However!! They absolutely made it right, and not.by throwing free stuff and credit at me. They got me the fish I asked for. They were extremely fat, healthy, and happy fish.

My next two orders went fantastic. I have been having a hard time with getting a McCoskers or Carpenter wrasse introduced to my tank. On my 3rd and final try I went with Dr reef for a QT'dt McCoskers. Fantastic, health fish. I kept him in a acclimation box next to my clown who was also moving in. The wrasse has been fantastic. Not scared or hiding. Out in the water eating pods and maybe some planaria (fingers crossed but it's not likely)

I promise though, if you have a good LFS, you want to help keep them in business first. Having a good LFS is a tremendous benefit for reef hobbyists. There is nothing better than hand picking your own pieces.

OP
OP
TheRealDmorty217

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still LFS first. So should you. But if you don't have a quality LFS obviously the internet steps in.

I have been using DR. Reef when my LFS cannot get a specific fish. My first order wasn't so great with them. I won't go into the details other than to say for whatever reason the hosed up pretty bad.

However!! They absolutely made it right, and not.by throwing free stuff and credit at me. They got me the fish I asked for. They were extremely fat, healthy, and happy fish.

My next two orders went fantastic. I have been having a hard time with getting a McCoskers or Carpenter wrasse introduced to my tank. On my 3rd and final try I went with Dr reef for a QT'dt McCoskers. Fantastic, health fish. I kept him in a acclimation box next to my clown who was also moving in. The wrasse has been fantastic. Not scared or hiding. Out in the water eating pods and maybe some planaria (fingers crossed but it's not likely)

I promise though, if you have a good LFS, you want to help keep them in business first. Having a good LFS is a tremendous benefit for reef hobbyists. There is nothing better than hand picking your own pieces.
I am also LFS first but I can promise you even here in FL that the fish selection is mediocre at best and I still have to QT (mostly bc I trust no one but myself and have seen very expensive fish that came from reputable places bring disease to everything else) Most all fish come from QM or SDC, both of which have disease

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also LFS first but I can promise you even here in FL that the fish selection is mediocre at best and I still have to QT (mostly bc I trust no one but myself and have seen very expensive fish that came from reputable places bring disease to everything else) Most all fish come from QM or SDC, both of which have disease
I'm in Jacksonville. It's mostly ok. I have to great LFS. But when I wanted a McCoskers wrasse, I had to go to Dr. Reef. I get it.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to get fish from DD before Petco bought them and completely destroyed the buisness they had going. Not only have they increased prices dramatically on most fish, their selection is sub par at best. Looking for any and all suggestions. I moved to Florida 2 years ago but there aren’t nearly as many saltwater stores as I had anticipated. Thank you in advance.
Find a good LFS, so much better than buying online, plus you can see the health of the fish yourself, and if you find an LFS that QT's their fish, even better!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish are you looking for? Where in FL are you? Unless you're out in the sticks, I would imagine there has to be some good lfs in the area...

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you check out Tanknicians? They do fully qt'd fish in FL. I know they were getting into shipping as well.

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The places in Tampa are worth the drive in my opinion. I know Orlando is a hike from out where you are, but WWC usually has some great looking fish

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get my fish from Alien Reef Aquatics, fully QT but currently is out of stock so I just recently ordered from Marine Collectors, another QT vendor, haven’t received yet though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheRealDmorty217

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The places in Tampa are worth the drive in my opinion. I know Orlando is a hike from out where you are, but WWC usually has some great looking fish
I have been told this but haven’t made the trip yet. Not ready for fish anyway but am trying to figure out my options. Those that use the places that “QT” does that mean they observe the fish for a few weeks or proactively treat them? Also who is looking after them to determine if they’re sick or not?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the way. There is no substitute for picking stuff out in person. Plus a good lfs can do so much more for you than just selling you stuff. You definitely can't take something out of the box to examine a new piece of equipment, or have them demonstrate one they're using. A good lfs can point you in the right direction to help you accomplish your goals. A good lfs WANTS you to succeed. After all if you're successful, you'll keep coming back. And BRS certainly isn't going to come to your house and check up on your tanks while you're out of town, but a good lfs probably will. Which trust me is absolutely worth every penny. Do not trust your neighbor or cousin or whatever to look after your tank. The cost to have them come by and just put eyes on it is probably negligible. Mine charged me $50 to stop by 3 times and just feed the fish and put eyes on the tank. They didn't have to intervene, but it's so worth the peace of mind to have someone that can spot a problem BEFORE it becomes a disaster. Online ordering has its place, sure, not everyone is lucky enough to have a good lfs after all. But if you do, it's absolutely your best bet. Most will also order whatever you want if they don't have it.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told this but haven’t made the trip yet. Not ready for fish anyway but am trying to figure out my options. Those that use the places that “QT” does that mean they observe the fish for a few weeks or proactively treat them? Also who is looking after them to determine if they’re sick or not?
The 2 places I mentioned treat the fish (both have websites that explain in detail their process), after treatment they do observation before releasing or shipping the fish. I am fortunate to be able to pick up from Alien Reef but Marine Collectors will be shipping to me.

OP
OP
TheRealDmorty217

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way. There is no substitute for picking stuff out in person. Plus a good lfs can do so much more for you than just selling you stuff. You definitely can't take something out of the box to examine a new piece of equipment, or have them demonstrate one they're using. A good lfs can point you in the right direction to help you accomplish your goals. A good lfs WANTS you to succeed. After all if you're successful, you'll keep coming back. And BRS certainly isn't going to come to your house and check up on your tanks while you're out of town, but a good lfs probably will. Which trust me is absolutely worth every penny. Do not trust your neighbor or cousin or whatever to look after your tank. The cost to have them come by and just put eyes on it is probably negligible. Mine charged me $50 to stop by 3 times and just feed the fish and put eyes on the tank. They didn't have to intervene, but it's so worth the peace of mind to have someone that can spot a problem BEFORE it becomes a disaster. Online ordering has its place, sure, not everyone is lucky enough to have a good lfs after all. But if you do, it's absolutely your best bet. Most will also order whatever you want if they don't have it.
I’ve been in the hobby for 25 years so this all resonates

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS , divers den and random fish stores. With an LFS I try to monitor a fish over a couple/few weeks/visits, make sure it's eating and not beat up. An observation tank and an acclimation box added to that is about as far as I'm willing to go so far. I treated some sick fish in the past. Wasn't fun.

OP
OP
TheRealDmorty217

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my 625g was setup in Ohio I had a complete QT system that I put fish in for 30 days no matter what and proactively treated them for ich and flukes regardless of them showing signs or not. I had a basement and a whole fish room with floor drains for this (had the house built like this) Now that I’m in Florida, basements aren’t a thing and space for extra equipment is none existent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back