Where is everyone getting fish from?

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical online vendors for common fish (reefbeauties, liveaquaria, saltwaterfish.com etc), I go with whoever has the best price. They all have good customer service for any issues that I might encounter. For rare fish, I use nyaquatic and some local vendors who has import license. Obviously, I can't expect same level of customer service, but can obtain rare fish at decent price. I use Dr Reef and TSM aquatic time to time, but I QT everything anyways.

Vendors that I will never use:
I would never use a vendor who doesn't cover DOA regardless of the reason (weather, flight delay etc). My philosphy is that I ordered live fish and I expect to receive live fish. It is 100% vendor's responsbility to bring this fish live to your door.

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Aquatics quaratines their fish a minimum of 30 days. Also, all fish are hand fed and observed during the QT period.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still LFS first. So should you. But if you don't have a quality LFS obviously the internet steps in.

I have been using DR. Reef when my LFS cannot get a specific fish. My first order wasn't so great with them. I won't go into the details other than to say for whatever reason the hosed up pretty bad.

However!! They absolutely made it right, and not.by throwing free stuff and credit at me. They got me the fish I asked for. They were extremely fat, healthy, and happy fish.

My next two orders went fantastic. I have been having a hard time with getting a McCoskers or Carpenter wrasse introduced to my tank. On my 3rd and final try I went with Dr reef for a QT'dt McCoskers. Fantastic, health fish. I kept him in a acclimation box next to my clown who was also moving in. The wrasse has been fantastic. Not scared or hiding. Out in the water eating pods and maybe some planaria (fingers crossed but it's not likely)

I promise though, if you have a good LFS, you want to help keep them in business first. Having a good LFS is a tremendous benefit for reef hobbyists. There is nothing better than hand picking your own pieces.
hey neighbor, im assuming you're talking about bioreef or OP aquatics?

Any idea what they are able to get as far as wrasses go? I'm looking at introducing some to my tank very soon and looking at my options

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neighbor, im assuming you're talking about bioreef or OP aquatics?

Any idea what they are able to get as far as wrasses go? I'm looking at introducing some to my tank very soon and looking at my options
I'm looking all over for a wrasse right now myself. There are a few at Bio-reef and Coral logic (across from IKEA). There is also a couple different at floating sea off of Philips. Standing in floating sea right now. Their selections terrible and the tanks look bad.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking all over for a wrasse right now myself. There are a few at Bio-reef and Coral logic (across from IKEA). There is also a couple different at floating sea off of Philips. Standing in floating sea right now. Their selections terrible and the tanks look bad.
Bioreef has been my go to for years... have yet to venture out to OP. Lucky to have the few stores we do, but still difficult to find. Best of luck! If you figure something out, please let me know!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioreef has been my go to for years... have yet to venture out to OP. Lucky to have the few stores we do, but still difficult to find. Best of luck! If you figure something out, please let me know!
I agree on Bio-reef. I use them almost exclusively. Occasionally I hit bio reef. It's way smaller. But they are equally knowledgeable. Dude that runs it is a smug youngster. But not too terribly so. Give them a call and see what they have in tanks now. That had three gorgeous rhomboid wrasses two days ago. Quite a few others. Just not a yellow coris or pink streak for me.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy livestock from one shop; I trust them and I know their protocol when new fish and corals come in. Waterworld Aquatics in Glasgow, Scotland if you ever find yourself in the UK.

I stay far, far away from any online vendor.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopped in at Bio-reef. They came through again. Yellow Coris Wrasse, 39.99.
1000005067.jpg

Even sent me home with a sticker for the inside of my stand.
1000005069.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any others in stock? Yellow Coris was one of 4 on my list
I did not see one. Admittedly I called, asked, they said "we got one yesterday.

"I said bag him up I'll be there in 5 minutes."

I don't like to look around the store because my trip for a $40 fish turns into a $300-$400 SPS extravaganza every time. So I walked in to the counter, looked at their sweet little nano on the register, paid, left the store.

Last edited:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see one. Admittedly I called, asked, they said "we got one yesterday.

"I said bag him up I'll be there in 5 minutes."

I don't like to look around the store because my trip for a $40 fish turns into a $300-$400 SPS extravaganza every time. So I walked in to the counter, looked at their sweet little nano on the register, paid, left the store.
Managed to snatch one as well. Thanks for the heads up

Jburak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and there are no LFS besides Petco that I can get live stock locally. I ordered from Reefs4Less a little over a week ago and everything came it great. All fish looked healthy and were out and eating with 24 hours.

I think I got a good deal.

Citron Clown Goby = $11.23
Yellow Watchman Goby = $17.99
McCoskers Flasher Wrasse = $38.99
Tailspot Blenny = $24.99
Eibli Anglefish Med size = 62.99

Free shipping +$9.99 packaging fee - $16.00 discount.

Last edited:

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Aquatics has quite a few wrasses in stock/making their way through their 30+ Day QT process. They also import fish from Kenya, Red Sea, Philippines etc... maybe 3-4 x's per month.

Frenchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another endorsement for TSM here. I am local and can attest 1st hand to their practices. They do a very complete job with quarantine treatment. If a fish has made it through their practices, you stand a great chance of success.

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another endorsement for TSM here. I am local and can attest 1st hand to their practices. They do a very complete job with quarantine treatment. If a fish has made it through their practices, you stand a great chance of success.
Perfectly said Frenchy!!! Thank You!!

smarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For buying online, I’ve had a good experience with Trinh Fish and Coral and two really bad experiences with LiveAquaria.

I’m also in FL and so far I drive to Tampa which is about an hour from me. I also want to go to Orlando to check out a few places but it’s a longer drive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back