Where the corn meets the sea

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I assume you would have to do some high volume feeding to keep their aggression down? Don't know if I'd be up for that. Also, would the different species require different diets?
If you had smaller fish in the tank you would most likely want to feed large quantities throughout the day so they dont get hungry, but they basically all will eat the same things (mostly meaty foods), although pufferfish have "beaks/teeth" that grow non-stop throughout their lives like beavers, so its best to through in some clams or snails every so often. Oh yeah another things its best to keep them in either FOWLR tanks or in Predator Only Reef Tanks (some exceptions with fish though : puffers can nibble at corals), meaning no crabs and crustaceans, they will definitely get eaten. I know that makes a clean up crew so much harder to make.

OP
OP
W

Woolvy034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had smaller fish in the tank you would most likely want to feed large quantities throughout the day so they dont get hungry, but they basically all will eat the same things (mostly meaty foods), although pufferfish have "beaks/teeth" that grow non-stop throughout their lives like beavers, so its best to through in some clams or snails every so often. Oh yeah another things its best to keep them in either FOWLR tanks or in Predator Only Reef Tanks (some exceptions with fish though : puffers can nibble at corals), meaning no crabs and crustaceans, they will definitely get eaten. I know that makes a clean up crew so much harder to make.
Thanks, I never thought about the predator tank and am now interested! My primary aspect is ULM I guess thats why I didn't investigate predator tanks. Now maybe after I get my 120 softie/LPS up and running and the son gets a little more interested (he's12 and getting really bored with all the tech and monitoring dad looks at)...predator tank for him. What would you suggest as a minimum size for a predator tank? Thanks so much for the info!!

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have wanted to start a reef tank. As many have probably said before, I just didn't have the time or money to invest in the hobby. I am a meticulous person when it comes to process and procedure (sorry its a work thing), I research, make lists, watch videos, ask questions, make more lists then change those lists...lol. Until I am certain I have the right setup to begin the process I will not start it. Too many failures from not being prepared (yes I'm an eagle scout too) to risk my investment of time and money. As anyone else I like to see a nice return on my investment.
So I have made my lists, watched numerous videos (the BRS 52 weeks of reefing was great), did my research, picked out my materials and am about ready to dive in. Of course this will be delayed now that the wife has decided we need to put a big addition on the house. :(
But maybe this is a blessing in disguise...I can now setup my electrical & water the way I need it for a reef tank. I also found a little space that I will be able to turn into a tank room! So looking forward to getting started in the hobby and wish I didn't have to wait 6 months for construction to get done but I've waited this long whats another 6 months.
So, be prepared for alot of questions and requests for opinions when I get rocking and rolling!
WELCOME TO R2R!!!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I never thought about the predator tank and am now interested! My primary aspect is ULM I guess thats why I didn't investigate predator tanks. Now maybe after I get my 120 softie/LPS up and running and the son gets a little more interested (he's12 and getting really bored with all the tech and monitoring dad looks at)...predator tank for him. What would you suggest as a minimum size for a predator tank? Thanks so much for the info!!
I would probably go with the same size, 120 or bigger. You could do a more nano size predator tank, so maybe 40-50 gallons. In a 40g you could keep a dwarf lionfish and maybe a spotted or valentini puffer, also a dwarf golden moray eel but those cost $500 and thats quite a lot. 50g would probably be better if you wanted a smaller predator tank, because you can keep snowflake eels and more options for fish in general. But yeah in conclusion I would go with like 120g+ .
(I may try a nano predator in a 40g-50g with a snowflake eel and a dwarf lion, and maybe get a big nem for my clowns to hide in)

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have wanted to start a reef tank. As many have probably said before, I just didn't have the time or money to invest in the hobby. I am a meticulous person when it comes to process and procedure (sorry its a work thing), I research, make lists, watch videos, ask questions, make more lists then change those lists...lol. Until I am certain I have the right setup to begin the process I will not start it. Too many failures from not being prepared (yes I'm an eagle scout too) to risk my investment of time and money. As anyone else I like to see a nice return on my investment.
So I have made my lists, watched numerous videos (the BRS 52 weeks of reefing was great), did my research, picked out my materials and am about ready to dive in. Of course this will be delayed now that the wife has decided we need to put a big addition on the house. :(
But maybe this is a blessing in disguise...I can now setup my electrical & water the way I need it for a reef tank. I also found a little space that I will be able to turn into a tank room! So looking forward to getting started in the hobby and wish I didn't have to wait 6 months for construction to get done but I've waited this long whats another 6 months.
So, be prepared for alot of questions and requests for opinions when I get rocking and rolling!

Hello and welcome

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%

Back