Where the corn meets the sea

Woolvy034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have wanted to start a reef tank. As many have probably said before, I just didn't have the time or money to invest in the hobby. I am a meticulous person when it comes to process and procedure (sorry its a work thing), I research, make lists, watch videos, ask questions, make more lists then change those lists...lol. Until I am certain I have the right setup to begin the process I will not start it. Too many failures from not being prepared (yes I'm an eagle scout too) to risk my investment of time and money. As anyone else I like to see a nice return on my investment.
So I have made my lists, watched numerous videos (the BRS 52 weeks of reefing was great), did my research, picked out my materials and am about ready to dive in. Of course this will be delayed now that the wife has decided we need to put a big addition on the house. :(
But maybe this is a blessing in disguise...I can now setup my electrical & water the way I need it for a reef tank. I also found a little space that I will be able to turn into a tank room! So looking forward to getting started in the hobby and wish I didn't have to wait 6 months for construction to get done but I've waited this long whats another 6 months.
So, be prepared for alot of questions and requests for opinions when I get rocking and rolling!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have wanted to start a reef tank. As many have probably said before, I just didn't have the time or money to invest in the hobby. I am a meticulous person when it comes to process and procedure (sorry its a work thing), I research, make lists, watch videos, ask questions, make more lists then change those lists...lol. Until I am certain I have the right setup to begin the process I will not start it. Too many failures from not being prepared (yes I'm an eagle scout too) to risk my investment of time and money. As anyone else I like to see a nice return on my investment.
So I have made my lists, watched numerous videos (the BRS 52 weeks of reefing was great), did my research, picked out my materials and am about ready to dive in. Of course this will be delayed now that the wife has decided we need to put a big addition on the house. :(
But maybe this is a blessing in disguise...I can now setup my electrical & water the way I need it for a reef tank. I also found a little space that I will be able to turn into a tank room! So looking forward to getting started in the hobby and wish I didn't have to wait 6 months for construction to get done but I've waited this long whats another 6 months.
So, be prepared for alot of questions and requests for opinions when I get rocking and rolling!
Welcome Wooley,
Congrats on the eagle.
Let us know how to help

OP
OP
W

Woolvy034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Wooley,
Congrats on the eagle.
Let us know how to help
Thanks Pistondog! Eagle scout is something I am proud of! I do have a question and to just give you some insight on what I'm looking to setup; 120gal. Rect. ULM softie/LPS maybe SPS later. Researched dry vs wet rock...think I'll go with dry and deal with the cycling over the potential issues of wet rock, unless you have other suggestions? My real concern, especially when it comes to ULM is whether to go with sand or bare bottom? I've heard benefits to both and negatives....any experience with both?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Pistondog! Eagle scout is something I am proud of! I do have a question and to just give you some insight on what I'm looking to setup; 120gal. Rect. ULM softie/LPS maybe SPS later. Researched dry vs wet rock...think I'll go with dry and deal with the cycling over the potential issues of wet rock, unless you have other suggestions? My real concern, especially when it comes to ULM is whether to go with sand or bare bottom? I've heard benefits to both and negatives....any experience with both?
I run triton, so no water changes. I do have a sand bed and good clean up crew.
You could make a good argument for bare bottom with respect to not having to siphon the sand. Less maintenance.
Refugium a must though.
Your rock plan sounds solid. Maybe leave room for extra live rock later. I used gulfliverock.com and got really nice pieces.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard R2R brother much luck to you sounds to me like you might have a case of OCD well so do I and I get it honestly it’s a curse especially when you also have ADD but comes in handy in this hobby

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
W

Woolvy034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard R2R brother much luck to you sounds to me like you might have a case of OCD well so do I and I get it honestly it’s a curse especially when you also have ADD but comes in handy in this hobby
Definitely OCD....its really sad at times. My wife and son have learned to be patient

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back