Where there's one there's..... Maybe a few more?!? (Striata)

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Acropora Striatas...

I've only ever seen a few of these. The only "named" one I know of is "vivid insanity", which is ubiquitous at this point.

I have practically zero relationships with wholesalers let alone importers. I'm just wondering what the dynamic is on importing these, or why it's difficult. They seem to be a very interesting species with dazzling color-morphs. Also, technically proven to thrive in captivity by vivid insanity's aquaculture success (I've heard some imported striatas did not make it).

My thing is... Ok if we found a few of these in the ocean, there has to be at least a few more lol! Anyone have any striatas they're hoarding? SPS gurus/sellers.... Don't yall want to get your hands on these!?!?

Thanks for reading my rant :grinning-face-with-sweat:

1706797881600.png

1706797903825.png

1706797918718.png

1706798004804.png

1706798039764.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
joining in for the deets...lol. would love to get my hands on more of this type of SPS. I've become a stick head, but have recently fell in love with speciosa's and the like. so anything that resemble them is a win/want for me!

could the lack of stock be due to lack of knowledge of its existence? do the importers/farmers know what to look for? perhaps VA has a secret form of culturing these and wont release it? :thinking-face:

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joining in for the deets...lol. would love to get my hands on more of this type of SPS. I've become a stick head, but have recently fell in love with speciosa's and the like. so anything that resemble them is a win/want for me!

could the lack of stock be due to lack of knowledge of its existence? do the importers/farmers know what to look for? perhaps VA has a secret form of culturing these and wont release it? :thinking-face:
I know that some corals aren't inherently more rare than others, but are just more difficult to collect due to diving conditions, i.e. depth, visibility, current... etc.

But still curious as to what is the case with these guys in particular!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know that some corals aren't inherently more rare than others, but are just more difficult to collect due to diving conditions, i.e. depth, visibility, current... etc.

But still curious as to what is the case with these guys in particular!
good point!

hopefully more people can chime in with their experiences. i've slowly begun to learn the different species (a. striata, a. speciosa, etc) and its so interesting noting the different growth patterns and such. trade names no longer entice me, haha.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are way cool! I’ve always had a soft spot for enchinats also and you don’t see them.. I have the Ora Hawkins and looking for the old skool ice fire “my favorite”. Even the old bottle brush were cool!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back