Where to buy very high quality custom tanks?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m familiar with their work, that’s standard stuff for standard pricing, a far cry from the level of quality I’m wanting. I’m looking for UNS level quality or better (but larger), and custom glass coating options for durability and improved optics. ELOS was *almost* there 10 years ago, but the quality has gone downhill a lot since then, sadly.

I don’t want acrylic, but thanks for the recommendations!

How many places have you found offering what you are looking for?

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth it. They have flaws, too. That would be an incredible wait for a tank that would be well established by then. I'm waiting on a small custom acrylic work from Marc Levenson with Melev's Reef. I'm at 6 months with him, and communication has been a major problem. Can't imagine waiting on the main piece, the tank, for 3 years.
I placed the initial deposit in Nov 2017. Received the tank in Dec 2020. It's now Aug 2022, and I still haven't received my two weirs that I paid for.

I would not and will never do business with Reef Savvy again. The tank is nice, very nice and it is flawless but, it was not worth what I went through.

SaJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m familiar with their work, that’s standard stuff for standard pricing, a far cry from the level of quality I’m wanting. I’m looking for UNS level quality or better (but larger), and custom glass coating options for durability and improved optics. ELOS was *almost* there 10 years ago, but the quality has gone downhill a lot since then, sadly.

I don’t want acrylic, but thanks for the recommendations!
Hey. Im shutting down my system and selling it at a steal due to health reasons. 300g Custom Reef Savvy Peninsula 75x42x22 all bells and whistles included. Custom Reef Savvy Tinted glass sump 60x36x18 with attached ATO reservoir. Custom black aluminum stand with matching hanging Canopy. All included 3500 obo. If your interested. Livestock left yesterday. ;)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Im shutting down my system and selling it at a steal due to health reasons. 300g Custom Reef Savvy Peninsula 75x42x22 all bells and whistles included. Custom Reef Savvy Tinted glass sump 60x36x18 with attached ATO reservoir. Custom black aluminum stand with matching hanging Canopy. All included 3500 obo. If your interested. Livestock left yesterday. ;)
looks like he is from Japan?

SaJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like he is from Japan?
Awe, I see .. Hate to see the cost if shipping for that one lol. Thank you for posting amd letting me know ;) If you know if anyone interested im letting it go at a steal. Beautiful System but I can no longer maintain it die to neck injury.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest build is through Crystal Dynamics in Oceanside CA. The build quality is phenomenal and glass clarity is superb. The tank has a double pane bottom with marineboard inlays and the bottom of the glass it has a layer or marineboard to protect it. Armored seams as well with a ghost over flow setup. I couldn't of asked for better tank.

Attachments

• willtank4.jpg
    willtank4.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe, I see .. Hate to see the cost if shipping for that one lol. Thank you for posting amd letting me know ;) If you know if anyone interested im letting it go at a steal. Beautiful System but I can no longer maintain it die to neck injury.
I’m not worried about the cost to ship it here, so I’m interested in seeing it! Sent you a PM.

Does that CD system have mitered edges?

I am looking for mitered edges, Diamantine glass, clear silicon, and DuPont sapphire coating.

David Matthews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody said planet aquariums yet? Very good quality and last time I checked only had a month or two wait time. Worth checking out

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just looked and realized you are in Japan so you should look for ones in your country (most of us are in America) but if money is no object lol I’d consider reaching out to custom aquarium makers in Japan or the U.S. just do some googling but it’s typically tens of thousands of dollars for a large custom build. And with many of the tanks they get serviced regularly so most people on here are not in that market. The issue is the bigger it is the harder/more expensive is it’s going to be to ship unless you are only looking for a tank that’s 100-200 gallons or so. And when it’s a super large custom tank glass is typically no longer an option due to weight and pressure that’s why acrylic is used as it’s a lot safer, less likely to burst, and isn’t as heavy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Elos Diamond series/ Diamond line. They are so sweet. They’re hand made Italian aquariums with the clearest glass I’ve ever seen.

I have one, the quality has gone downhill a lot apparently. The one I have is a disappointment, on par with Red Sea Reefer quality I’d say, and 4x the price.

I’m not looking for super large, around the 1000 L range, I’m just looking for very high-quality. I have the ELOS diamond 200 XL which is about 1000 L, but the quality ended up being a disappointment as I mentioned. I also want a longer, shallow tank.

UNS is a Dutch company I believe, they make the highest quality non custom tanks I’m aware of that check all my boxes except for size I want.

I’ll import an aquarium from anywhere. I imported my ELOS from Italy. I’m just trying to figure out where I can get something that’s quality I want custom made.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, the quality has gone downhill a lot apparently. The one I have is a disappointment, on par with Red Sea Reefer quality I’d say, and 4x the price.

I’m not looking for super large, around the 1000 L range, I’m just looking for very high-quality. I have the ELOS diamond 200 XL which is about 1000 L, but the quality ended up being a disappointment as I mentioned. I also want a longer, shallow tank.

UNS is a Dutch company I believe, they make the highest quality non custom tanks I’m aware of that check all my boxes except for size I want.

I’ll import an aquarium from anywhere. I imported my ELOS from Italy. I’m just trying to figure out where I can get something that’s quality I want custom made.

If you like UNS…You can order from ADG here in Houston. Great company to do business with. They are the only place I will order an aquarium now. Most of our LFS’s here are just too busy and I’ve literally had one forget to order a tank after I waited 4 months.

I agree…UNS are absolutely beautiful. The way they do the edges is fantastic. Go to the one minute mark in the video below to see some of the tanks and you can see the seams. They look even better in person.

Also…check out this video. A lot of UNS tanks:

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I have a UNS 90L and it’s amazing. Wish I could find a custom maker to do the same level of quality, but the demand just isn’t there. Most of the demand seems to be fkr budget tanks in the $1-3k range it seems, which means quality suffers :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back