Where to find cheap yellow tangs?

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I have been looking around some shops around the united states on how much they sell their yellow tangs and their prices are still crazy.

I heard from someone a while back that they still sell yellow tangs in hawaii for very cheap or the normal price atleast.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Does anyone know where you could purchase cheap yellow tangs?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii has banned the collection of native fish for the hobby. Unless captive bred (which is rare) prices are going to keep rising.

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest you could possibly find will be from other saltwater owners, but they are just as likely to sell for the going rate. Biota is going to be the cheapest rate from a company going forward, with a current rate of ~$150, as there are no new Hawaii sourced fish coming.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked back in your threads, still have the 60 gallon? A tank that size is not suitable for most, if any tangs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is if you can find tangs. Tangs as many have stated Banned are not necessarily banned, but those with collection permits (which now are few) can collect until their permits expire. Once expired, there will be no collecting until Hawaii modifies a new plan - IF they do. Live Aquaria and other distributors such as NY aquatic will be your only sources for now. For a 60g , plan on a very small one only as it will slowly grow to 5".
I had one only in a 50g cube and did well but tank was not ideal for swimming space. Once transferred to a 93 cube, it was much happier

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked back in your threads, still have the 60 gallon? A tank that size is not suitable for most, if any tangs.
Oh really? :(

i got my inspiration from youtube that said he has a yellow tang that was happy on his 55g reef tank.

So sad this fish would have been really beautiful, maybe for my future bigger tank i will get this. Thank you for the info!

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is if you can find tangs. Tangs as many have stated Banned are not necessarily banned, but those with collection permits (which now are few) can collect until their permits expire. Once expired, there will be no collecting until Hawaii modifies a new plan - IF they do. Live Aquaria and other distributors such as NY aquatic will be your only sources for now. For a 60g , plan on a very small one only as it will slowly grow to 5".
I had one only in a 50g cube and did well but tank was not ideal for swimming space. Once transferred to a 93 cube, it was much happier
Yes sadly I only have 60 gallons, how long did you had your tang on your 50g cube? Does it grow very fast? Im not really set on having tangs if they would not be happy on a 60g. What other bright fish do you prefer that is as appealing as a yellow tang?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sadly I only have 60 gallons, how long did you had your tang on your 50g cube? Does it grow very fast? Im not really set on having tangs if they would not be happy on a 60g. What other bright fish do you prefer that is as appealing as a yellow tang?
Kole or tamini tang would be the tangs that would be a better fit. Could see if you like those. Otherwise I'd check through liveaquaria.com they have care information on just about every fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
About 7 months and slow grower. For that bright yellow, Yellow Coris Wrasse. Canary blenny also yellow. Coral beauty also colorful but assure the coral beauty is not around a bunch of softie coral.

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 7 months and slow grower. For that bright yellow, Yellow Coris Wrasse. Canary blenny also yellow. Coral beauty also colorful but assure the coral beauty is not around a bunch of softie coral.
Do you reckon a long nose butterfly would be nice for that bright yellow center piece?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you reckon a long nose butterfly would be nice for that bright yellow center piece?

a bit more fragile... not super beginner friendly and mine ate acans, Duncan, and picked at some other LPS. They do grow fairly large.

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit more fragile... not super beginner friendly and mine ate acans, Duncan, and picked at some other LPS. They do grow fairly large.
I would say I am in the middle spectrum as of my level of experience. I used to have a 120g before and only did fowlr on it, i have kept some angels and some sailfins as well as yellow tangs. Unfortunately my situation right now does not suit a huge tank like that atm :(

would you say they are like the discus of the saltwater? Based on the fragility of the fish?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say I am in the middle spectrum as of my level of experience. I used to have a 120g before and only did fowlr on it, i have kept some angels and some sailfins as well as yellow tangs. Unfortunately my situation right now does not suit a huge tank like that atm :(

would you say they are like the discus of the saltwater? Based on the fragility of the fish?

They can be a slower eater, a target for bullies, not always reef safe, and are easily damaged in shipping due to their fragile frame. However they are still an easier butterfly then a Copperband or such. I do believe they get pretty large, 8 inches. The ones I have seen recently have been skinny/malnourished. Perhaps have internal parasites or just not feeding in transport.

Look for a healthy specimen that is eating and curious. It is best if you can buy live clams to freeze (the kind we eat) and offer slices, live worms, and LRS.

You didn’t post dimensions of your tank so can’t say if this fish is suitable.

Look for a healthy specimen that is eating and curious. It is best if you can buy live clams to freeze (the kind we eat) and offer slices, live worms, and LRS.

Never kept discus or much of any fw fish.

Last edited:

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can live in a 55 My friend has a 7 inch powder blue and a 7 inch yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank for 12 year now

it can succeed.
best to feed a lot and introduce when little

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know where you can find them… February 2020

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can live in a 55 My friend has a 7 inch powder blue and a 7 inch yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank for 12 year now

it can succeed.
best to feed a lot and introduce when little
That doesn't make it ok.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came for my LFS......$375 for a very small yellow. Yet a scopas is $60. It's the Hawaii thing that keeps yellows (and purples) up so high.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back