Where to get acrylic

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember on a post a few weeks back someone mentioned a place where they sell their excess or scrap acrylic. Anyone know the name of said place? Or any other good places to get acrylic in the eastern half of the state?

Thank you!!!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably no help but I live near miracle aquariums in Canada they said they'd sell me some, or primo reef acrylics (both Canadian though).

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking for. Home depot has some. If it's just for sump baffles go to Home depot

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the market for some 3/8 acrylic too. If you find a good deal let me know. I need 2' + pieces though.

Last time I bought some was on eBay, you can always find decent prices on scraps there, & the sellers are usually happy to cut them for you since it saves on shipping.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a custom acrylic sump. Just want to play around with some smaller pieces and see what I can create. I need that Weld-on #4 too. It was a place in CT and one of our members mentioned it in a thread. Hopefully he'll see this

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little searching and I found the post and found out who we need an answer from. It was masedaddy

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masedaddy:"Building a custom sump is very easy and can be done on a budget. If you go to a plastic manufacturer they will often have a room for extra acrylic cut offs and remnants. I picked up a ton of acrylic for 40 bucks. Then built my own sump."

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a custom sump is very easy and can be done on a budget. If you go to a plastic manufacturer they will often have a room for extra acrylic cut offs and remnants. I picked up a ton of acrylic for 40 bucks. Then built my own sump.

Can a brotha get some low down on where to scoop that acrylic on the cheap cheap?

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a custom acrylic sump. Just want to play around with some smaller pieces and see what I can create. I need that Weld-on [URL=https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 [/URL] too. It was a place in CT and one of our members mentioned it in a thread. Hopefully he'll see this

Go on Ebay, type in weld-on #4 in the search, you will find a ton of sellers. I picked up some #16 , had it here in 3 days, very inexpensive. Most had no shipping fees and of course no sales tax.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get the right stuff, you're going to want cell cast and I believe certain brans are better than others. There are a few threads on working with acrylic, just do a search. I've ordered online for some projects I've worked on from a place called estreetplastics.

emessier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased cast acrylic from Total Plastics in Cranston RI as well as Laird Plastics on Freshwater Blvd in Enfield CT they also have the weld on #3 #4 #16

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am just researching first. Whether the cost will be worth it which I assume it will. It probably won't be built for a month or two

Nuagedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern Plastics in Bridgeport as well. They have a nice selection of off cuts you can buy as well as if you go there with a list of sizes they will cut for you from scarps on the cheap.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for all the sources! I'm going to call around. Anyone have a thread of an acrylic sump they did? I'd love to see it

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in manufacturing we buy a pretty good amount of plastics on a regular basis.
The sources you are listing are all very good quality facilities.
Laird can be excellent price wise if buying larger quantities (full sheets).
Another company we have starting dealing with lately is called The Plastics Factory in Bridgeport. They are excellent for smaller orders and ship or deliver promptly.

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 they provided me wit the best quote. Next best was in NJ, $$ difference wasn't worth the longer drive

Being in manufacturing we buy a pretty good amount of plastics on a regular basis.
The sources you are listing are all very good quality facilities.
Laird can be excellent price wise if buying larger quantities (full sheets).
Another company we have starting dealing with lately is called The Plastics Factory in Bridgeport. They are excellent for smaller orders and ship or deliver promptly.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the usual thickness for a sump? Does it depend on size?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back