Where to get clean Zoas

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a stick head (sps) but have a little tank on my desk connected to my display, frag, fuge, and sump, that I want to put some zoas in. I havent added anything yet because I' not sure where to get clean zoas. I am paranoid about fish disease and parasites, and coral parasites. I qt all fish religiously and I only buy sps from places i know i can trust that have a similar qt protocol and only sell pieces of their own mature colonies that i know are parasite free. Is there a good source of Zoas that are safe from fish parasite/disease and coral disease/parasites? Im ok with private parties or businesses. I just dont want to buy a zoa and infect my tank with Ich or red bugs. Its not worth it at this point!

PXL_20201114_001000789.NIGHT.jpg

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought some Zoas from Jason Fox and was very happy with them. There is a Reefbuilders video on Youtube where Jake Adams goes out and tours his operation. Seems pretty thorough and well thought out from a pest perspetive with his QT process. He is local to me, so I pick up. For what it's worth when grab stuff from him he notes how clean his system in and don't have to worry about dipping for pests. I always dip anyway, and don't see anything concerning come off of them. His were the last i bought for about 6 months before buying anything else. In that time I didn't see anything in the tank that made me think he wasn't serious about the clean zoas. Now my LFS on the other hand I'm certain after adding stuff from them it caused my bubble algae problems but thats another story...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally stick with individuals who are growing out themselves or higher end end retailers. Not going to name names and get the thread closed, but the pests/problems usually come when you are buying from a chopshop vendor. Probably the same ones you avoid on the SPS side.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT everything I get. No vendor can promise a clean coral but some are cleaner than others vendors!

Never had a problem with the following two:

https://www.reef2reef.com/members/mateusz.113839/ Great seller here on R2R. Prices are great and frags are always clean. My tank are mostly sticks and the zoas i got from him

Jason Fox has live sales here and his frags have been clean.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT everything I get. No vendor can promise a clean coral but some are cleaner than others vendors!

Never had a problem with the following two:

https://www.reef2reef.com/members/mateusz.113839/ Great seller here on R2R. Prices are great and frags are always clean. My tank are mostly sticks and the zoas i got from him

Jason Fox has live sales here and his frags have been clean.
Jason Fox is one of my trusted sources for sticks. I didnt think to look for zoas and ive never done one of his live sales. Ill have to jump ion that.

There are a couple of private sellers of sticks that I trust and I would love to find a zoa person like them. I want to avoid people who buy hack and sell like the plague. Nothing personal. Good for them, and I think they help spread the hobby, but I cant take the risk for my tank right now.

I cant dedicate a tank to coral qting. Proper fish qting is big enough of an ordeal!

Back