Where to get detailed info on controllers, reactors, etc.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I'm pretty new to this. I'll admit that but I'm trying to learn. Right now I have a 16 gallon Bio Cube with an AI Prime light, an Ink Bird controller for the heater and an ATO. Everything is doing nicely. Corals are growing and fish are living and eating well. Few minor bumps as I was getting started but nothing really major, or did I just jinx myself? Water parameters are steady and I'm doing regular water changes.

Anyway, my wife wants me to get a bigger tank. (Dang, I guess since she insists on it I will.) I'm looking at the RSR 525XL. I'm been watching some build threads and various other threads about systems. I see a lot of people putting reactors, manifolds, controllers, refugiums, etc. in their systems but how does a person new to all of this get the details on how to set up the plumbing and program the controllers and decide which controllers, lights, powerheads, etc. to use so they all work together properly?

Or do I start with the basic system that the Red Sea comes with and add on as I learn about this? I don't want to buy the wrong parts and then have to buy the "good" stuff later. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Any thoughts?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do I start with the basic system that the Red Sea comes with and add on as I learn about this
^ This.

Keeping a tank simple initially will take a whole lot of headache out of the hobby for you.

That being said, stuff like dosing pumps and media reactors can be very helpful on an aquarium, especially larger ones, but they truly aren't needed in the startup phase of an aquarium. You will be able to meet most of the needs of your reef aquarium through water changes and such. Until you get a good amount of coral and fish in there and maintenance demands rise, you won't need any extra equipment and even then simple stuff like a refugium and a simple dosing setup, or even manual dosing, will keep a reef tank happy and healthy.

ATOs are a godsend though and I think heater controllers are good piece of safety equipment :) they definitely are good for a new tank to help keep it stabilized.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do like I did, you will spend a lot of time on here and see what people are using, what it does, and how it works to learn about equipment. There are so many variations of individual components it is really hard to say "go read this and you'll know everything". I recommend following along with different build threads to see how people are hooking things up.

As many people will tell you, there is no single "right way" to run a tank, but there are a lot of wrong ones...

From setting up multiple tanks what I do recommend is plan your plumbing out for expansion from the beginning in case you decide to make additions if you want to use one pump for everything. This is easiest done by using unions after the pump (which will also make it easier to take your pump out of the system so you can clean it) and before the tank, and use a pump that is over sized for your tank to allow for the extra flow that will be taken off later. Then as you want to add equipment you can take the plumbing out and create additional feeds for reactors and things.

IMO the first additional piece of hardware to invest in is an ATO (Auto Top Off). They will help keep your salinity more stable and help keep pumps from sucking air. I personally am a fan of the ATK from Neptune Systems but there are a lot out there that are cheaper.

Controllers are a great addition if you approach them with the right mindset. They will not make your aquarium successful, but they will help you make your aquarium successful. As you can probably guess, I'd recommend the Apex by Neptune Systems as well, but do your research as I have heard good things about the GHL Profilux and the Digital Aquatics Archon. I prefer the Apex because of the larger ecosystem of products that integrate with it like the DOS (dosing pump), COR (return pump about to come out), ATK (Auto Top-Off Kit), WAV (powerheads), and who is not excited about the Trident!?.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. The guidance is great and makes sense. I'll just start simple and add as I go like you've both said.
Good luck! Definitely ask about stuff if you have questions or you are curious about a particular piece of equipment or something, it only takes a few minutes and is way cheaper than testing the equipment yourself :D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I'm pretty new to this. I'll admit that but I'm trying to learn. Right now I have a 16 gallon Bio Cube with an AI Prime light, an Ink Bird controller for the heater and an ATO. Everything is doing nicely. [...] I don't want to buy the wrong parts and then have to buy the "good" stuff later. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Any thoughts?

Tank upgrades are exciting, but your worries are absolutely real too. Your gut-feeling is right, so here's how to listen to it... :)

Gaining more experience before you upgrade would largely answer your worries.

It would also give you more time for reading about any of the gadgets you are curious about to determine if any of them sound like they would help.

If you buy based on need that your relationship with your tank has demonstrated and buy within your means/budget vs following a trend or buying based on pretty much anything else, you're pretty safe spending your money. If you can't tell the difference whether something is on the "need" list or whether it's something else, then it might be best to take that as a sign, belay the purchase and do more research. (Pretty much how I play it.)

For example if you're looking at tanks between 100 and 150 gallons, have you considered assembling your own similar system based on a 120 Gallon? All you really need is a tank, stand, heat, lights and water flow. You can add a sump and separate skimmer and return pump, etc. Or you can do an all-in-one type setup with a Tunze Reefpack 500. Costs should be as good or better....especially if you opt for used gear for any components. In particular the tank. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back