Where to go from where I am.

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm at a fun point. My tank is going, and I got to the big thing I wanted to get to: the absolute top priority was to have a paired yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp and dangit I have them! I attached a picture for proof because they were hiding in the other pictures (my fat boy clown likes to come over and look for the food I left for them, and he's much bigger than they are, so they hide. Mild jerk. But I love him.)

My question is, where can I go from here? My tank is 54 gallons plus an 11 gallon sump. Right now I have a clown, a lawnmower blenny (who is a total diva with some serious tude, awesome fish), and the dynamic duo, the YWG and tiger pistol. The clown hangs out in the open water, the blenny is kind of all over the place, and the ywg and pistol rule their little corner (except when the clown colossus comes on by, then they hide. But occasionally the pistol will sound off and it's awesome).

I'd really like to add a couple more critters to get more activity in the rock work of the tank. I think my next addition will be a cleaner shrimp (there are two really nice archways where it could be out of direct light and set up a cleaning station). After that I was thinking probably a firefish.

If it seems reasonable, I'd like to add one final fish after that point, but I'm not sure if that's too many fish for 54 gallons. If I COULD add another, I'd love input on the most peaceful type of wrasse out there (I actually had a 6 line in the tank briefly a little while back, and it turned out to be a bully and I spent 1.5 hours catching it with a net without uprooting my rock work), something that would really be in and out of the rocks and busy. That said, I REALLY want fish that are very likely to be peaceful (I get it, it varies fish to fish, so no guarantees). I thought about a mandarin, but currently have no pods (working on the fuge but can't seem to get my hands on any chaeto), and I feel like that might be a little too stressful and crowded for a mandarin. If the more experienced hands think I could handle a mandarin, I'd get a huge pod population going and go for it (I'd also be willing/interested to do a mandarin in lieu of a firefish).

The goal for corals (which I'm pretty set on) is for the current frags to really grow out, and to add more zoas and have a big zoa garden in the middle, and then branching hammers to one side and probably a Kenya tree coral off to the right.

So that's basically it: with what I have, I would like to add a cleaner shrimp (I have good water quality, 8% weekly water changes have kept the important stuff where it needs to be, including iodine, which is nice), and a firefish (or a mandarin if reasonable), and then is it reasonable to add something more, given right now the rockwork is not used by basically anyone, to add something else and if so, what might be a good and peaceful option? Should I go with something other than a firefish? I posted pictures of the tank so that you can see the layout.

20201007_173436.jpg 20201007_180016.jpg 20201007_180026.jpg 20201007_180121.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi, wrasses like to have lots of pods around....

Get that clown an anemone!

Firefish and cleaner shrimp are good calls. Maybe some other cool inverts too? Brittle starfish maybe? Oh and what the heck, get that clown a mate too!

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi, wrasses like to have lots of pods around....

Get that clown an anemone!

Firefish and cleaner shrimp are good calls. Maybe some other cool inverts too? Brittle starfish maybe? Oh and what the heck, get that clown a mate too!
The clown has been in there for a while, wasn't sure if I really wanted to get him a mate. I hadn't really thought too much about an anemone, kind of figured my tank should be a little more established first. I kind of like only one clown, if only for the simple fact that I'm not that enthralled with the clowns (but I love the hell out of mine, he's a champ). Can brittle starfish go bonkers and reproduce to pest levels? I had considered a fire shrimp, but I wouldn't want that to fight with the cleaner. I'm not really too worried about the pistol, the only concern I immediately have there is that it is appeased and fed enough so it decides that my cleanup crew don't need to make any sacrifices in the name of hunger...

I was aware that a wrasse would love some pods, so no matter what, once I get a lump of chaeto, it's pod time. If nothing else the firefish ought to eat them. What kind of wrasses are most known for being peaceful? Could I add one after a firefish?

I assume this tank is probably a little too crowded at this point for a mandarin to feel comfortable?

Thanks for the experience and knowledge!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the brittle won't reproduce at all. Your thinking of mini brittles that reproduce all over the place. Different animal.

I wouldn't think about a mandarin yet. Get a couple of critters now and then wait a bit and make sure everything is happy and stable.

I do have a cleaner and fire shrimp. They have never interacted with each other at all.

Firefish aren't pod eaters (but pods are great clean up crew and you should get some anyways)

6 line wrasses are evil. I've never seen any aggression from my leopard wrasse.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about the kenya tree...i put in a $10 frag and it immediately started dropping arms which floated away and "took root" all over the tank...probably had 30 of them in there before an overheat killed everything

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about the kenya tree...i put in a $10 frag and it immediately started dropping arms which floated away and "took root" all over the tank...probably had 30 of them in there before an overheat killed everything
I heard that they can do that. I'll be mindful

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the brittle won't reproduce at all. Your thinking of mini brittles that reproduce all over the place. Different animal.

I wouldn't think about a mandarin yet. Get a couple of critters now and then wait a bit and make sure everything is happy and stable.

I do have a cleaner and fire shrimp. They have never interacted with each other at all.

Firefish aren't pod eaters (but pods are great clean up crew and you should get some anyways)

6 line wrasses are evil. I've never seen any aggression from my leopard wrasse.

Okay cool! Yeah I kind of figured that might be the case on the mandarin. Yeah everyone was acting weird the next day once the 6 line went in and that was when the red flags started going up.

I'll look into leopard wrasses! I have been low key tossing around the idea of a royal gramma, but I know they can occasionally be rather mean. I'd get it last, but you still just don't know and they seem like a little more of a gamble. I feel quite confident a firefish would be safe (whether it be purple or red lol) and then maybe I'll see from there. It sounds like another fish after the firefish and cleaner shrimp probably wouldn't be too much though?

How are the brittle stars with other inverts and corals? Any predation there? I don't know much about them so I'll have some research to do.

420420reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner fish would be a good addition, some emerald crabs, royal grammas are cool too. How long has your tank been running?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green brittle stars are fish eaters. All of the other colors of brittle and serpent stars are model citizens. I have 4 and love them! There are some awesome colors out there.

Just watch your parameters and make a decision on whether your tank can handle another fish or not. Depends on your filtration. I bet you'll be able to add one more.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green brittle stars are fish eaters. All of the other colors of brittle and serpent stars are model citizens. I have 4 and love them! There are some awesome colors out there.

Just watch your parameters and make a decision on whether your tank can handle another fish or not. Depends on your filtration. I bet you'll be able to add one more.

Yeah I use a filter sock and a media cup with reactor filter sponges. Works great so far, and I don't get all the fuss about filter socks. I keep the used ones in a bowl until I've got a couple then just run a couple rinse cycles, and after they dry out I soak them in RODI to get any leftover city water nasty out. I do need to get that fuge going though, that'll really be the key if I'm going to add another fish I'd think, plus getting pods going.

I'm religious about those 8% (5 gallon) weekly water changes, and I have to believe that helps. I have to imagine with only a cleaner and pistol, that I shouldn't have too many calcium issues (though that might change as the corals grow. The hammers in particular are becoming zealous. And a little feisty, sending out their little mucus stringers...), and iodine ought to be fine. I do have stuff to dose calcium if I need to, as well as Mg and dKH. It's honestly pretty low maintenance at this point. Just weekly water changes and a daily feeding.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@xxkenny90xx what experience do you have with royal grammas? If a small one is added at the very end, would one be okay with this set of fish (including a firefish) and inverts? I have obviously looked into the compatibility charts, but I just don't feel like they're equal to actual experience, so I want a balance of both.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back