Where to place my Lapastrea

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty new tank. It's cycled and parameters are pretty stable so I decided it was time to start testing the waters, so to speak, with some coral. I picked up a small Zoanthid frag and a piece of Lapastrea. I really don't know where to put it. I've included a picture of my tank with a circle and arrow showing where it is now. I really could use some advice from LPS experts on where to glue it though. I have gotten some mixed opinions on the ideal light/flow for this thing. I was originally thinking about just moving down on the same rock, closer to the sandbed so it could spread out on that front face. Thoughts?

Tank_1.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laphastrea tend to like lower light levels. Id go more near the bottom of your rock work. Best bet though would be to place it, but don't glue it down until you find a spot it's happy :)

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crabs! That is kind of what I was thinking too, just move it a bit to find happiness. It will be a little tricky since some of the spots I think it might like are more vertical and harder to just place but I actually just realize that I have some small rocks that I can move to help out. I also went back to the store where I bought it today (unrelated, they had a 50% off Acan sale :) ) and the ones in the store do look a little more open so it probably doesn't like it's first home.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start everything off the side down low in the sand to start, then move them up. I just saw a video from Mike @ Elite Reef and he said they can tolerate medium to high flow, but lower light. Like Crabs said, when you move it up, try to not glue it and see how it does before you do glue.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim. So, I guess they can tolerate just hanging out on the sand for a while then? I probably have a while before they start to spread anyway ;)

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim. So, I guess they can tolerate just hanging out on the sand for a while then? I probably have a while before they start to spread anyway ;)

yes, it'll be fine in the sand. This is what i do with all mine. They stay there about a week and then I move them up.

20180915_193443-01.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back