Where to Start?

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am completely new to saltwater tanks and fish. I would like to set up a smaller tank (10-20 gallons?) for a clownfish and maybe an annenome, I just have no idea where to start. You have to get the tank and everything first to let the water run for awhile right? How long should I let it run before I could add a clownfish or two, and the annenome? Also was wondering if they do better in a particular shaped tank? I would like to get one of the taller ones (taller than it is long) and just wanted to make sure it would work out ok. The type of clownfish I think I would like to get is the Percula clownfish :smile:.

Another question is, when I do run the tank without the fish (for however long is advised) should I have all the other stuff in there during this process? Such as the sand, coral and annenome? Sorry so many questions, just want to do it right the first time :bigsmile:

Thanks in advance,
-Squirrel

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would try to go with a larger tank if space/budget will allow. Keeping up with a small tank is much more difficult. You have to let your tank cycle first which usually takes a month or so but you have to test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to know when it is done. I would suggest going to the New To The Hobby forum and do alot of reading. Nothing in tank except sand and rock while cycling. When tank finishes cycle you can add a pair of clownfish. Most people recommend waiting at least 6 months before adding an anemone to a new tank. There is a lot more you need to learn so start reading and don't be afraid to ask many questions. People around here are very friendly and helpful. If you can find a 40g tall tank that would maybe be a good place to start.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and welcome to reef2reef. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. We're here to help.

OP
OP
S

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. Maybe I will just start with finding a tank first :) I have been reading through some of the threads on here, still pretty clueless so just going to take it really slow. Thank you again.

Why is it a six months wait for the annenome but not the clownfish? Just curious, and if I get the clownfish first and later add the annenome will this work out?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can do fine without an anemone. Clownfish are one of the hardier fish. The six month wait is to get over the new tank syndrome where you'll get unwanted algae, swings in the biological cycle, like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Most anemones require good lighting. Myself, I took the bubble tip anemone away from my Maroon Clownfish because she was too aggressive and impossible to live with. In reality it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years for a new saltwater tank to settle down and be really consistent.

OP
OP
S

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize it took that long to have a consistent tank. Good thing I am not in TOO much of a hurry to have everything :) So maybe just start off with the clownfish and some live rocks. Might still try for the annenome later on down the road, I have high hopes :D Should I get a different type of saltwater plent for the clownfish to hide in, or no?

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessary. The clownfish will do just fine without a host. Anemone's add a lot to the bioload of a tank and an immature tank has trouble keeping up with it. However you will be able to add some corals once the cycle is done. The clownfish may choose a coral as a host in the absence of an anemone. Before setting up the tank get a really good understanding of the nitrogen cycle and how it works. Also make sure you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will have to test these to know how the tank is progressing through the cycle. Sounds like you are willing to be patient and take things slow which will be very helpful to you in this hobby

OP
OP
S

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Coral is really pretty so that is exciting that I will at least be able to add that sooner than a few years down the road. I will see what I can find for a simplified verison of a nitrogen cycle, at least to get a basic understanding of it. I believe I saw test kits where you can buy them together. I would rather wait and make sure everything is good to go, then to kill fish and coral or mess everything up :( Its a good motivation to stay patient.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to PM me the size you would like i can gather an equipment list for you and also kinda of walk you thru the steps on setting it up. I agree with everyone thou, the first tank should be biggest tank you can fit/afford. The more water volume the more room for a small error that will not end up killing everything.

OP
OP
S

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the store today and looked around. I like the size and shape of the Marinand 25 gallon cube :) it would fit nicely as well since it isn't a long one. I may do a bit more looking around but I really liked the size and shape of it. It comes with some lights and a stand, so that is a bit of a bonus, plus more room than I originally intended on getting.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights and equipment that come with those freshwater set ups won't be adequate for saltwater. You'll end replacing everything. A little more research is in order so you don't waste your money.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the first place to start is to research macro algae and insure the tank is started with macro algaes.

But that's just my .02

OP
OP
S

Squirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input. I looked online some more this evening and found two that I am going to look more into :)

1) Oceanic HQI biocube- 29G. I have read the protein skimmer has to be updated but otherwise it works great.

2) Red Sea Max 34G starter kit

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome :)

-Squirrel

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back