Whether to use filter socks or not? What do people think

powderhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them on my 120 most of the time, get like 4 or 6 and change them out every few days then wash them all every two weeks. Keeps my tank water sparking clear.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them for the fact that they help catch detritus but I'm too busy most of the time to change them out as often as they need. Plus I don't want to wash them.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them for the fact that they help catch detritus but I'm too busy most of the time to change them out as often as they need. Plus I don't want to wash them.

wont they make your Phosphates go up if there not changed regularly ,Mine will get so clogged within 3 days and it will start to overflow. are yours thick and fuzzy feeling ,(that didnt sound right..but u know what i mean) :)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wont they make your Phosphates go up if there not changed regularly ,Mine will get so clogged within 3 days and it will start to overflow. are yours thick and fuzzy feeling ,(that didnt sound right..but u know what i mean) :)

Lol. Mine are thick and fuzzy feeling.

They just don't do me any good really. They overflow in two or three days and I don't feel like keeping a bunch of dirty socks around and washing them. I do like the benefit they provide but weighed against storing and washing them I'd just as soon go without. My sump is bare bottom so I just vacuum all the detritus when I do water changes.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Mine are thick and fuzzy feeling.

They just don't do me any good really. They overflow in two or three days and I don't feel like keeping a bunch of dirty socks around and washing them. I do like the benefit they provide but weighed against storing and washing them I'd just as soon go without. My sump is bare bottom so I just vacuum all the detritus when I do water changes.
I agree id rather clean sump once a month rather then every 3 days..well i might try the 100 instead of the 200 micron i use(just looked upwhat i was using online not fuzzy thing)lol also i catch alot of pods in mine that i have to pick out ..

Ill give it a try for a couple months see how it goes..

How do you clean bottom of sump ,i cant get siphon to stay going

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean bottom of sump ,i cant get siphon to stay going

Mine will stay going for about 5 gallons. It's long enough to get the loose stuff off the bottom. If I need to pull out any more water than that I use a maxi-jet pump with tubing attached.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will stay going for about 5 gallons. It's long enough to get the loose stuff off the bottom. If I need to pull out any more water than that I use a maxi-jet pump with tubing attached.
\

AH I gotcha thanks suck it thru the maxi..lol

Thanks for the help

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use felt filter socks in my tank. It keeps my water crystal clear.

If you think you don't like filter socks, run one in your tank for a week and look at all the gunk it pulls out. ;)

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use felt filter socks in my tank. It keeps my water crystal clear.

If you think you don't like filter socks, run one in your tank for a week and look at all the gunk it pulls out. ;)

Isnt that what the skimmers for though..to pull out the gunk..

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing one out every other day is freakin lame. I don't run a skimmer or mechanical filtration. Is there crap floating in the water? Yep, a little bit. Is it distracting? Nope. Is it natural? Ever heard of 'marine snow'?

:)

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really polishes.my water great but it does get annoying having to change em out every few days, and then throwing them in washer machine then rinsing in rodi water. But I think it is definitely worth it. Cleaning sumps out sux even more though! IMO.....

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing one out every other day is freakin lame. I don't run a skimmer or mechanical filtration. Is there crap floating in the water? Yep, a little bit. Is it distracting? Nope. Is it natural? Ever heard of 'marine snow'?

:)

YES I agree Jedi Master............. they are a big pain in the but they do take out alot of the gunk Koletang says..which I think some of that gunk would be benefical for corals.Am i wrong about that

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really polishes.my water great but it does get annoying having to change em out every few days, and then throwing them in washer machine then rinsing in rodi water. But I think it is definitely worth it. Cleaning sumps out sux even more though! IMO.....

So you wash them in washer machine with any kind of cleaner? or just water,,I take mine out side flip then inside out spray with nozzle then air dry them ,I was to worried about detergent in washer machine/

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES I agree Jedi Master............. they are a big pain in the but they do take out alot of the gunk Koletang says..which I think some of that gunk would be benefical for corals.Am i wrong about that
That gunk/detritus is actually food. Corals benefit from it being in the water. If you have a skimmer, it's gonna get removed anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you wash them in washer machine with any kind of cleaner? or just water,,I take mine out side flip then inside out spray with nozzle then air dry them ,I was to worried about detergent in washer machine/

No cleaner just quick cycle. They come out really clean. Then I rinse em in rodi water just to be sure. If I just spray them they never get as white as when I wash them

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gunk/detritus is actually food. Corals benefit from it being in the water. If you have a skimmer, it's gonna get removed anyway.

Heck ,I had a filter and a skimmer,no wonder my corals look like crap..well I test my phosphate regularly like every 4 days,i cannot get them to 0 im always .03 ,I was wondering if its the socks holding gunk in there and thats the reason i cant get to zero. Using everything in the world to get them there,Do yall feed yalls fish daily,or what.. I can see pe mysyis in the sock everytime i clean

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back