Whether to use filter socks or not? What do people think

fener103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them on my 120. Usually get 3 or 4 days out of them before changing them out. I have 5 socks and wash them all about every two weeks

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use them on the 180. it has 2 overflows and onle one gets a sock and the over gos to my fug.. i change them out every few days and feel they do wounders. to clean them i just throw them in the washer with some bleach and then i risne them out twice to make sure they are clean of the bleach.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck ,I had a filter and a skimmer,no wonder my corals look like crap..well I test my phosphate regularly like every 4 days,i cannot get them to 0 im always .03 ,I was wondering if its the socks holding gunk in there and thats the reason i cant get to zero. Using everything in the world to get them there,Do yall feed yalls fish daily,or what.. I can see pe mysyis in the sock everytime i clean

0.03 PO4 is fine, and some would say more beneficial than unreadable. A lot of my Zoas and Favia prefer some slightly higher phosphates. It's a fine line though and you need to test often.

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this today. I've been running socks since I've had a sump but I think I might just run the tank without one for a couple months to see if there are any differences. Great thread!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back