Which algea do I have?

bromikke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have read left to right, top to bottom, and still am not sure which green algae I have. It doesn't appear to be hair or a bubble. Turf? Is it simply "film" algae? All of my levels are good except my phosphates, which I'm currently working on. Could the algae be a part of my phosphate problem? 2-month-old tank. I have a clean-up crew all seemingly doing fine, a firefish, a watchman goby, and a pistol shrimp (together atm although I thought maybe the goby got the boot the other day because he was hanging out away from home but has now returned lol). I once tried to scrub with a toothbrush just to see what would happen and it didn't budge. I'm reading and hearing about giving the live rock a bath. H2O2? Help?

20230217_122136.jpg 20230217_122204.jpg 20230217_122218.jpg

OP
OP
B

bromikke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY my new friends. I also think I've been suckered into "We're starving, haven't eaten in 3hrs..." Getting those phosphates down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all. I have read left to right, top to bottom, and still am not sure which green algae I have. It doesn't appear to be hair or a bubble. Turf? Is it simply "film" algae? All of my levels are good except my phosphates, which I'm currently working on. Could the algae be a part of my phosphate problem? 2-month-old tank. I have a clean-up crew all seemingly doing fine, a firefish, a watchman goby, and a pistol shrimp (together atm although I thought maybe the goby got the boot the other day because he was hanging out away from home but has now returned lol). I once tried to scrub with a toothbrush just to see what would happen and it didn't budge. I'm reading and hearing about giving the live rock a bath. H2O2? Help?

20230217_122136.jpg 20230217_122204.jpg 20230217_122218.jpg
Looks like green turf algae and actually will not just go away and you can try reducing the white light intensity and number of hours of white light and adding 1.5ml of 3% peroxide at night to the sump to weakens its cell structure. Also add Ninja star snails and pencil or pin cusion urchin and about 10 carribean blue leg hermits which should work on it.
At worse case, you will have to take rock out and scrub with firm toothbrush and peroxide

Is this tank by chance at or near a window?

OP
OP
B

bromikke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green turf algae and actually will not just go away and you can try reducing the white light intensity and number of hours of white light and adding 1.5ml of 3% peroxide at night to the sump to weakens its cell structure. Also add Ninja star snails and pencil or pin cusion urchin and about 10 carribean blue leg hermits which should work on it.
At worse case, you will have to take rock out and scrub with firm toothbrush and peroxide

Is this tank by chance at or near a window?
Hey. Thanks for the new input. No window. I do have a good new light on the way. Currently, I'm keeping the light off as much as possible. 2 month old tank so I'm not stressing too much. I did just read that the phosphate level may be a part of the algae, feeding it. As for adding new critters, I'm not wanting too much being a 13.5 gallon and corals on the way. My 3rd and maybe final fish will be a tailspot blenny. They like green algae. Seeing how I have a couple of months before I do coral I'm going to just be patient and try not to keep stressing that what I do have. I'm going to research each of those mentioned. My problem usually is size. Not always today but after growth, lol. Ty for your help.

Back