Which Basslet to Choose?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm interested in trying a Basslet but I'm looking for the most peaceful one. Also I've heard people have added more than one and have had good luck. What's your experience with these fish? Are they all the same size 3"?

• Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
• Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)
• Macneill's Assessor Basslet
(Assessor macneilli)
• Randall's Assessor Basslet (Assessor randalli)

Would you choose ORA captive bred or wild? I've heard that wild is actually hardier.

(my tank is 100g with a minimalist aquascape made out of Tonga branches with a few caves built in. I will wait till my sps garden fills in prior to adding any fish however)
Images provided by Liveaquaria if not acceptable please remove. Thanks Eric
493754c1d428ebdd53e65fc2fd69e368.jpg
02cc43a0ac46eded5c7bc2bda92e5fc3.jpg

979d11045bb22b6bfbb3e82971a8fedb.jpg

Last edited:

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gold aggressor was the perfect tank mate in a Nano 20g with a watchman and a CBS. Most of the ones I’ve owned are from ORA and vey hardy. I’d imagine in a 100 gallon they’ll be hiding or hovering g upside down on a overhang.

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gold is going to be the most docile of the ones listed, and the colors are always better on the wild ones. The ORA ones I’ve seen always look washed out to me, granted they may improve over time?

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I would pass on the Chalk Bass as its rated Semi-aggressive for a reason. So I would probably skip right to the ones rated peaceful. Wierd though the write up on Liveaquaria describes as more peaceful. Maybe rated semi-aggressive as they like small shrimps.
Great info guys keep it coming [emoji106]

Last edited:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the yellow assessor from ORA for years. It was a trip. Hung out under caves in my 210g during day and came out and night to surf the waves. Great fish that never bothered anyone in the tank.

+1 On most days mine (also ORA) is out in the morning and evening - typically lights on to 10 am and ~4pm to lights off. Spends most of riding the current, but also likes do somersaults and swim upside down near overhangs that are in low-flow areas of the tank. Quite character to watch.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The gold is going to be the most docile of the ones listed,
Did you have both the Royal Gramma and the Gold before? Curious on how you formed this opinion "Gold most docile"? I did read the Gramma may be aggressive towards fish with the same the shape and or bright purple color.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those species can be kept together. Assessors are social and different enough from grammas.

Of those species, royal grammas and yellow assessors are my favorites.

I prefer wild to captive bred due to better color and less chance of deformities.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma is a jerk. He bullies my yellow watchman goby, he about ripped his lip off...
and he tries to push around my lawnmower blenny, but he is not having that. He stands up to the gramma.
I have a 32 gallon biocube, so in the bigger tank you have less to worry about. I built a couple more caves, and the YWG has found a good hiding spot now. He is healing up.

I also have a firefish. The Gramma pesters him, and he leaps up and hits the cover trying to escape. I think it is the luck of the draw with aggression.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the black cap basslet?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept both Royal Gramma's and Black Cap Basslets with fire fish without problems. I currently have a large Black Cap with an Exquisite Firefish. My Black Cap is a little more protective of his hidey hole than my Gramma was but he doesn't cause any problems at all.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently all these fish in a120. Well, not the chalk bass.

I prefer my wild yellow assessor to my captive bred specimens. Better colors and they seem more robust. My Randall's and mcneils are captive bred.

My royal gramma defends his little cave, but hes never actually aggressive, even with a P fridmani in the mix.

I have multiple dartfish and a red firefish in the tank as well. They are all out and about all the time (well, my blue gudgens are a bit cryptic) and no issues with compatability at all.

The fish mentioned are among my favorites, so I say great choices! Lid is a must with this stocklist.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that of all the fish I mentioned my McNeil is the most aggressive, by a good bit. Hes not too bad, but he is assertive.

Back