which canon 100mm lense?

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the differences between these two lenses besides the image stabilization?

Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens

EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

if the camera is on a tripod anyway, does the image stabilization make a difference?

thanks,
ben

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first is a much older model. Built pre DSLR era. Will work just as good. The second has a tad bit closer focusing distance (less than an inch difference between the two). The only difference I really see is the age of the two lenses.

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks - that helps.

for top-down pics of corals in relatively shallow water (say 7" or less), would the 60mm be better? i see it has a lot closer minimum focus distance (7.9")...i assume that means how close to the subject you can point the lense? thinking with hanging lights, the closer to the water i can get the better. no?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the cake get the IS. Most people thinks it helps with just a little shakiness it doesn’t. It helps allot with the fine details
Testing A Canon Image Stabilization Lens A Shutter In Time

Also a amazing lens to look into for macro if you have a tripod is the MPE macro its in the IS macro price range but it's SICK! I love mine to death, Also I use a MPE Alone, but when I use my 2.8 macro I also like to use extension tubes. To get the full image I like.

On my last note camera lenses don’t really go out of date. Camera equ does not really drop in price due to they rarely come out with "NEW" versions of old one's. Unlike cars do, which is why comera equ holds its value and used equ does not cost that much less then what it would 20% less. The latest change to the 2.8 macro line is the addition of the "USM" to it, which is just a different motor user to focus faster I believe.

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another not the 2.8 macro is not a older "ERA", both modals are made for DSLR's and will only work on DSLR's. So it is not PRE dslr, canon has it's basic line of lenses then it's "L" line which is more exspensive and normaly comes with the lower apiture and "IS" The 100mm macro is one case where is does not lower the apiture. But is comes with the "IS" which makes it the "L" serious. L seriouse just means its the proffesional seriouse and basicly there is not a better lense made by canon in that focal length.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend the 60mm for top down photos. I purchased the canon 100mm macro and its a great lens. But, I decided to get rid of it and get the 60mm, its SO much better for shallow top downs.

thanks - that helps.

for top-down pics of corals in relatively shallow water (say 7" or less), would the 60mm be better? i see it has a lot closer minimum focus distance (7.9")...i assume that means how close to the subject you can point the lense? thinking with hanging lights, the closer to the water i can get the better. no?

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend the 60mm for top down photos. I purchased the canon 100mm macro and its a great lens. But, I decided to get rid of it and get the 60mm, its SO much better for shallow top downs.

perfect - that's exactly what i wanted to know.

thank ya, sir! :)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to test drive a 100mm macro i could lend you mine for a frag =P if you realy want to try a lense out try www.lenserental.com or you could barro mine befor you take the leap

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! very cool.

i have 4 friends with the 100mm canon lenses, so there's no shortage of those here... but some of the others it will be cool to try.

thanks!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back