Which color of Laser works the best

budget buster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting a Laser pointer 3 watt to eliminate some unwanted palys that are spreading like wildfire.
Was wondering if anyone knows if one color of Laser works better than another and what is the minimum wattage that is effective . Looks like the choices are blue violet, green and red.
Also has anyone tried using lasers to eliminate green star polyps.

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the color of laser matters as much as the watt. I have zero experience using a laser for any reason in a reef tank but I have seen videos of 3w blue violet working on aptasia. At least to irritate them enough to recede. Sorry I'm not much help but wanted to at least get you a reply

Also make sure you can focus the beam of the laser to a fine point - this is crucial

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a laser from one of my local fish clubs before. The color of the laser was blue.
I never tried it on palys but did try it on mushrooms. The mushrooms would shrivel and turn gooey but in time they reproduced. From my own experience and from some of the others in my club, while the laser did burn aiptasia they would still come back in time. I used the laser several times over the course of 3 -4 months trying to rid aiptasia and mushrooms with little to no success in the same spots basically.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your toxin release will be too great and I've heard the lasers don't have enough power to kill palys anyway. Another similar post came to the conclusion that you should pull the rock out and scrub the palys off.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not kill them like this in the tank (if it worked). The toxins released could crash the tank.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you will need to replace the rock, that's why I try to be extremely selective with what I put in the tank these days.

OP
OP
B

budget buster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a laser from one of my local fish clubs before. The color of the laser was blue.
I never tried it on palys but did try it on mushrooms. The mushrooms would shrivel and turn gooey but in time they reproduced. From my own experience and from some of the others in my club, while the laser did burn aiptasia they would still come back in time. I used the laser several times over the course of 3 -4 months trying to rid aiptasia and mushrooms with little to no success in the same spots basically.
Do you recall what wattage the laser you tried was

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a 445nm blue laser for aiptasia before. I had both a 2watt and a 3watt.

Those watts can definately make an appy make some popping noises as they fry. The higher watt was mainly for ones in the back of the tank.

Here's where I got the hosts from.
http://www.survivallaserusa.com/
He can give you a link to get the actual laser node from.

There are a lot of cheaper routes out of China that some have posted good luck with. Some Chinese stuff I kind of shy away from. Especially things that can fry your pupils. Lol

Accio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I found if you feed your tank correctly and only kill very large aiptasia they won't be a problem. In fact i think killing makes more most of the time because they release spores.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I found if you feed your tank correctly and only kill very large aiptasia they won't be a problem. In fact i think killing makes more most of the time because they release spores.

I have had great results from the RedSea Aiptasia-X kit. You inject it right into the mouth and they melt away, they only pop back up because you didn't apply it quick enough and they had time to recede and hide.

OP
OP
B

budget buster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a 445nm blue laser for aiptasia before. I had both a 2watt and a 3watt.

Those watts can definately make an appy make some popping noises as they fry. The higher watt was mainly for ones in the back of the tank.

Here's where I got the hosts from.
http://www.survivallaserusa.com/
He can give you a link to get the actual laser node from.

There are a lot of cheaper routes out of China that some have posted good luck with. Some Chinese stuff I kind of shy away from. Especially things that can fry your pupils. Lol
Thanks I will check them out

OP
OP
B

budget buster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results from the RedSea Aiptasia-X kit. You inject it right into the mouth and they melt away, they only pop back up because you didn't apply it quick enough and they had time to recede and hide.
I don't have Aiptasia only palys {I do not know where they came from} that multiply like crazy.
Do you know if Aiptasia X would work on them I'll have to try it just to see.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out. Replace it completely. Those trash paly’s can’t be killed / stopped. Maybe a flame thrower... maybe

Bluesli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blue laser pointer is a better choice, of course, the higher watt the better, if you want to eliminate green star polyps, then the power at least not less than 1 watt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back