Which controller has best/easiest web capabilities?

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered the Apex Lite which has now been in backorder status for the last few weeks with no promise of getting it in the coming weeks. After ordering I read up on programming the controller and I was surprised to see how complicated it is to make is wireless. I ordered the controller because I was very interested in being able to program online, get updates to email etc. Due to the backorder I am contemplating canceling the order and ordering the comparable price wise ReefKeeper unit. So, to help me make up my mind which controller is easier initially to hook up and get online, better app for smart phone and better software?

reefez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people swear by Apex & it is a great controler I have a RKL & it was childs play to set up if you can Navigate the forums you can set it up.I have ATO /presure switch to my skimmer/3 MH/2 power compacs/Leds /heaters/all hooked up to it& more.There are Pros&Cons to all the controlers in some opions. Its all a matter of preff.I diddnt care much for Net capiable controler just more for me to stress about when I am out so I just set all the safeties & go W/it. But RK has net also at an extra expence.

Last edited:

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have one ordered but I have a apex ac jr for sale with head unit dc8 and temp.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the apex hands down, I had the rkl and rke, it in no way compares. I read the unnoficial guide half a dozen times, and know the system pretty well. I ran a 100' ethernet cable through my attic to use the web interface, and it is pretty good, it has been acting wierd on the web interface lately.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not that bad to setup the wireless, there are plenty of people on R2R that are more than willing to help out.

Stick with the APEX.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of the controllers on the market come with wireless capability built in. Hooking it up wirelessly can be a nightmare if you aren't good with networking, but if you read through the unofficial user guide a few times, you should be able to get it working with a wireless game adapter fairly easily.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter is super easy to set up... takes about 2 minutes. Just follow the instruction sheet. And it works well with the Apex.

The Apex is primarily meant to be managed via it's embedded web interface. The RKE/RKL are not. The DA NET module (as mentioned, an extra-cost item) allows email alerts to be sent, ON/OFF outlet controll, and configuration of logging anf RSS/XML. It does not allow programming . For programming of an RK, you must use the built-in menus or the MyReef Windows software.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back