Which filter floss do you use with the Red Sea filter media cup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the bottom plus filter floss on top to ensure it doesn't get clogged up.
So just carbon at the bottom in a media bag and filter floss on the top? I plan on putting my biosphere in the chamber right next to the filter socks before the divider? Since you have the same tank do you think it’s a good idea?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just carbon at the bottom in a media bag and filter floss on the top? I plan on putting my biosphere in the chamber right next to the filter socks before the divider? Since you have the same tank do you think it’s a good idea?
Yes. You mean refugium? If you're talking about the chamber after the filter socks where you can set the width with the divider, yes - that's probably the best spot for a refugium.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You mean refugium? If you're talking about the chamber after the filter socks where you can set the width with the divider, yes - that's probably the best spot for a refugium.
Yes I’m not going to set up a refugium but will be putting my biospheres there in a media bag. The space after the divider I have my skimmer running and the water then goes through the sponge to the return pump chamber.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m not going to set up a refugium but will be putting my biospheres there in a media bag. The space after the divider I have my skimmer running and the water then goes through the sponge to the return pump chamber.
Yes, that's where I have all my media as well (not bagged - just scattered along the bottom of the chamber).

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's where I have all my media as well (not bagged - just scattered along the bottom of the chamber).
Thanks so much! I’m still learning so didn’t realize I had my skimmer set in wrong. The drain tube wasn’t plugged hence everything from the drain cup would flow back into the tank. Luckily I caught it this time around since I’ve only recently added my fish to the tank. I plugged the tube and read the instructions but I find the skimmer still overflowing, I read that’s normal though and takes 2 weeks or so for it to break in. I’m testing right now to see my ammonia go up and my tank cycle to start. I’ll be getting my fritz 900 in next week but since it needs ammonia to function correctly I’m hoping I’ll be able to add the fritz and biospheres next week and the ammonia will be up slightly. I’ll have the spheres in large bags hoping to make cleaning easier. Thanks so much for your help! I’ll share an image next week with everything in place!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I’m still learning so didn’t realize I had my skimmer set in wrong. The drain tube wasn’t plugged hence everything from the drain cup would flow back into the tank. Luckily I caught it this time around since I’ve only recently added my fish to the tank. I plugged the tube and read the instructions but I find the skimmer still overflowing, I read that’s normal though and takes 2 weeks or so for it to break in. I’m testing right now to see my ammonia go up and my tank cycle to start. I’ll be getting my fritz 900 in next week but since it needs ammonia to function correctly I’m hoping I’ll be able to add the fritz and biospheres next week and the ammonia will be up slightly. I’ll have the spheres in large bags hoping to make cleaning easier. Thanks so much for your help! I’ll share an image next week with everything in place!
It can take a week or so to break the skimmer in, so that's normal. I try to adjust mine so that the top of the bubbles/foam are below the neck of the collection cup. Scum will eventually accumulate and you should end up with rich, smelly brown skim.

The biospheres can be left in indefinitely. You may find that they "guck up" with a media bag (those square caddies with side vents for water to pass through work better).

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a week or so to break the skimmer in, so that's normal. I try to adjust mine so that the top of the bubbles/foam are below the neck of the collection cup. Scum will eventually accumulate and you should end up with rich, smelly brown skim.

The biospheres can be left in indefinitely. You may find that they "guck up" with a media bag (those square caddies with side vents for water to pass through work better).
Ahh point, I didn’t think of that, I’ll grab one of those plastic trays instead. In the meantime I’ll put them in as is. It’s alright if my heater is in the same chamber? How many biospheres did you use? I purchased two gallons, will that be adequate?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh point, I didn’t think of that, I’ll grab one of those plastic trays instead. In the meantime I’ll put them in as is. It’s alright if my heater is in the same chamber? How many biospheres did you use? I purchased two gallons, will that be adequate?
I’m hoping the skimmer is overflowing because it’s a new tank with not many fish and much gunk, overtime it should be fine. I’ll adjust my foam similarly I believe that’s called running it dry?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I run my heaters at the back of my skimmer chamber, but you can put them anywhere that fits. I used two boxes of MarinePure 1.5" spheres and two 8x8x4" bio bricks for my 200-gallon system.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I run my heaters at the back of my skimmer chamber, but you can put them anywhere that fits. I used two boxes of MarinePure 1.5" spheres and two 8x8x4" bio bricks for my 200-gallon system.
I haven’t purchased the blocks, do you think I should? So far I have a skimmer, two filter socks, two media cups I plan on running with carbon, filter floss and some sponge filter on the top and then these biospheres. (You have the 750xxl correct?) so for the same tank do you think I need anything else? After my crash I’m being extra careful. As my ammonia rises in the tank as it cycles should I do water changes or just wait for the spheres and Fritz to do its job and wait for the ammonia to lower along with the nitrite and nitrates?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the rolled floss in my 625 as I use it for my AIO tanks. I went right back to socks. Didn't polish enough for me and it seemed like alot of wasted material because it clogs up too fast.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the rolled floss in my 625 as I use it for my AIO tanks. I went right back to socks. Didn't polish enough for me and it seemed like alot of wasted material because it clogs up too fast.
I find the 100-micron felt filter socks do the best job, but obviously you end up changing them out more frequently. The nylon filter socks are great for when you go away on holidays and they're very easy to clean.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much, I’ll keep all this in mind.
I find the 100-micron felt filter socks do the best job, but obviously you end up changing them out more frequently. The nylon filter socks are great for when you go away on holidays and they're very easy to clean.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add the blocks later. Yes, I run the 750XXL. They suggest water changes only if your ammonia goes over 4ppm during the cycling process.
My ammonia was only at around 0.50 ppm when I checked a day ago, waiting for the fritz bacteria to come in and hopefully the tank cycles fast.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia was only at around 0.50 ppm when I checked a day ago, waiting for the fritz bacteria to come in and hopefully the tank cycles fast.
Sounds good. I have a good regiment for laundering socks with Oxy-Clean instead of bleach, so if you'd like that drop me a msg.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I have a good regiment for laundering socks with Oxy-Clean instead of bleach, so if you'd like that drop me a msg.
Oh to clean them I’ll message you, how often do you clean them? I just cleaned the socks under the sink with a little soap and hot water when I started my tank again and I see all the fish food collecting underneath the socks and in the refugium. At first I thought it’s because I placed the socks first then the media cups so I figured maybe the flow was too fast and the food just ran over it but I switched it and same thing. I’ll rinse them tomorrow to see if that helps.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh to clean them I’ll message you, how often do you clean them? I just cleaned the socks under the sink with a little soap and hot water when I started my tank again and I see all the fish food collecting underneath the socks and in the refugium. At first I thought it’s because I placed the socks first then the media cups so I figured maybe the flow was too fast and the food just ran over it but I switched it and same thing. I’ll rinse them tomorrow to see if that helps.
We let them accumulate until we have about 16-20 of them then do a large batch. But we replace four (4) of them about every 2-2.5 days with fresh filter socks.

I would try and avoid soap if possible - hot water and white vinegar works good for a quick clean in a pinch.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ditched the socks, and the filter floss for this!!! I 3d printed some media baskets, and dropped a pouch In each basket,, best thing I have done!!!

682445CC-D4AE-43F9-917B-26B4820A1AAD.png

Back