Which filter roller?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding a filter roller to my system, I don’t want to spend a fortune and was thinking about ClariSea, or Theiling Compact. BRS has the full size Theiling on sale as a clearance item. Currently my system is around 160 gallons, basement sump so space is no issue. What are your experiences and recommendations?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the thrilling compact myself, about 85 total system volume. I will never use a filtersock for regular filtration again. If I had the room I think I would rather have the full size rollermat but the compact works fine in my tank I get about 1.5 - 2 months a per roll.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Trigger Systems Platinum Sump. I can't say how it holds up long term (the tank's not actually running yet), but it's been easy to set up, and changing it involves cutting the old one, then stapling in the new one, so no need to dip your hands into the sump.

One thing to note about all of them is they use water level to know when to start rolling. This means if your return is turned off, or otherwise your sump water level is high, it's going to use half your roll before you realize and unplug it. I'm adding an extra sensor to the apex in the return compartment for a "high sump level" that will turn off roller and protein skimmer until the level normalizes.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Trigger Systems Platinum Sump. I can't say how it holds up long term (the tank's not actually running yet), but it's been easy to set up, and changing it involves cutting the old one, then stapling in the new one, so no need to dip your hands into the sump.

One thing to note about all of them is they use water level to know when to start rolling. This means if your return is turned off, or otherwise your sump water level is high, it's going to use half your roll before you realize and unplug it. I'm adding an extra sensor to the apex in the return compartment for a "high sump level" that will turn off roller and protein skimmer until the level normalizes.
You could plug it into the eb832 and input code to turn the outlet off if the pump is turned off.

nolongeractive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input folks. Any other recommendations?
I bought the Aquamaxx roller filter because it's less expensive than some other ones. It's been running since August in my 125g and I'm quite happy with it. Just replaced the roll last week and it was easy enough. I just used the tape already on the new roll to connect with old roll. Powered it manually by pressing the button through to the other side. Then I removed the used roll and connected the new one. It was simple enough.

nolongeractive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Aquamaxx roller filter because it's less expensive than some other ones. It's been running since August in my 125g and I'm quite happy with it. Just replaced the roll last week and it was easy enough. I just used the tape already on the new roll to connect with old roll. Powered it manually by pressing the button through to the other side. Then I removed the used roll and connected the new one. It was simple enough.
I forgot to mention I was not happy with the thin acrylic rods that came with it (3 out of 4 broke) but they replaced all 4 rods with thicker ones and those have been fine. I hope they only send out ones with thicker rods now.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the bubble magus. No real complaints. Cost of replacement rolls should be considered.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If space is not a problem, bigger is usually better... larger rolls usually yield more filter material surface area per $.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I was not happy with the thin acrylic rods that came with it (3 out of 4 broke) but they replaced all 4 rods with thicker ones and those have been fine. I hope they only send out ones with thicker rods now.
Same happened to me. Its the only thing I'm disappointed with

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards ClariSea for now. David Saxby’s company can’t go wrong. More over I’ve been thinking about replacement rolls.

chancecube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence too. I cant figure out how to add a roller with a bean animal return. Two rollers? ? eww
Thoughts ?

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence too. I cant figure out how to add a roller with a bean animal return. Two rollers? ? eww
Thoughts ?
I was planning on having my full siphon line feed the filter and just have the secondary run into the sump as is. Is that not right?

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarisea for me. I had the klir and didnt like it in the Red Sea reefer 525. I was able to mod the sump and slot in the clarisea perfectly. No complaints

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts ?
I'm using the bubble magus medium. It has an elbow for input that can be attached to either side. I was lucky to get a second elbow, but one could be made. I feed the primary drain to one side and the secondary to the other. Not sure what other rollers can be dual fed, but that's what I do with my BM.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back