Which filter roller?

chancecube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual feed would be cool. vtecintegra - did you get your hands on two side pieces that were pre drilled? Doesn't the drain pipe hit the motor on that side?

I wonder how much detritus goes back in the tank with the secondary not getting any roller mat.
Do you guys put the secondary in a sock? I don't like socks. Or just let it cycle freely into the tank.

Michael David

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Trigger Systems Platinum Sump. I can't say how it holds up long term (the tank's not actually running yet), but it's been easy to set up, and changing it involves cutting the old one, then stapling in the new one, so no need to dip your hands into the sump.

One thing to note about all of them is they use water level to know when to start rolling. This means if your return is turned off, or otherwise your sump water level is high, it's going to use half your roll before you realize and unplug it. I'm adding an extra sensor to the apex in the return compartment for a "high sump level" that will turn off roller and protein skimmer until the level normalizes.
There is an additional level sensor that is designed to prevent exactly the situation you describe. I've got mine in the return section of the sump.

I've had my Trigger Sys Platinum running now for four months and I couldn't be happier. No socks to clean and it filters like crazy! I figure one roll of fleece will last me about six months, which is great. Highly recommend.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input folks. Any other recommendations?
Yes, my recommendation is to buy a X-filter they are British made and are the best roller filter there is. I had the Clarisea 5000 gen 2 and while it did the job I found that I had to reset or do something almost daily to it. We called it the lamb as each time it wi; nd on it made a noise like a lamb bleating on for it's mother. Then I upgraded the tank and the Clarisea was no longer any good due to the new tank has 2 x 42mm pipes going to the sump and the Clarisea only takes 1x 32mm pipe fitting so I sold it and got the X-filter 1 it will take 2 x 50mm pipes that just drop into the side box. Unlike the Clarisea the X-filter has 4 different filter rolls with a choice of 9,15,25,and 32 micron holes (I think them numbers are correct) it. When I first got it it didn't need putting together only the roll fitting and it ran that quietly I had to mark the roll to check it was working. The X-filter has being running on my tank for over a year now and I'm only a quarter of the way through the 2nd roll as where I'd be on my 12 or 13th roll with Clarisea and they are the same price with the X-filter having a roll of 65m which is about. 20 more than the Clarisea.
As you can read the X-filter is far superior filter roller and if I was to set up another tank I would without doubt fit an X-filter but if costs was a factor in the outlay I would still put a Clarisea on rather than socks as I'd never go back to them.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my recommendation is to buy a X-filter they are British made and are the best roller filter there is. I had the Clarisea 5000 gen 2 and while it did the job I found that I had to reset or do something almost daily to it. We called it the lamb as each time it wi; nd on it made a noise like a lamb bleating on for it's mother. Then I upgraded the tank and the Clarisea was no longer any good due to the new tank has 2 x 42mm pipes going to the sump and the Clarisea only takes 1x 32mm pipe fitting so I sold it and got the X-filter 1 it will take 2 x 50mm pipes that just drop into the side box. Unlike the Clarisea the X-filter has 4 different filter rolls with a choice of 9,15,25,and 32 micron holes (I think them numbers are correct) it. When I first got it it didn't need putting together only the roll fitting and it ran that quietly I had to mark the roll to check it was working. The X-filter has being running on my tank for over a year now and I'm only a quarter of the way through the 2nd roll as where I'd be on my 12 or 13th roll with Clarisea and they are the same price with the X-filter having a roll of 65m which is about. 20 more than the Clarisea.
As you can read the X-filter is far superior filter roller and if I was to set up another tank I would without doubt fit an X-filter but if costs was a factor in the outlay I would still put a Clarisea on rather than socks as I'd never go back to them.
Where is this available in the US? And where do you get your replacement rolls?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual feed would be cool. vtecintegra - did you get your hands on two side pieces that were pre drilled? Doesn't the drain pipe hit the motor on that side?
Someone gave me a second elbow side piece from a broken unit. One could be fabricated if needed. I have a 90 elbow that sends it horizontal so it doesn't hit the motor.

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 121

Actup85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Useing a eshopps ar 300 with a klir 7 just over 2 months still on same roll on my 90 love it.

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my bubble Magus filter roller for a few days now but it seems to be doing a really good job. Before and after pictures below after 12 hours of use. So far it’s using about 1’ of roll every two days. At this rate it’ll take about a year to go through one roll since new rolls are about 164’.
1D79B9BB-BE65-4C99-8B39-05913F0A6D3F.jpeg
99BB139F-F529-4825-B6AB-86464B5A7ECD.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my bubble Magus filter roller for a few days now but it seems to be doing a really good job. Before and after pictures below after 12 hours of use. So far it’s using about 1’ of roll every two days. At this rate it’ll take about a year to go through one roll since new rolls are about 164’.
1D79B9BB-BE65-4C99-8B39-05913F0A6D3F.jpeg
99BB139F-F529-4825-B6AB-86464B5A7ECD.jpeg
What roll are you using? The longest roll I was able to find from Bubble Magus is about 80' long.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Klir super easy to set up and use but doesnt fit every sump
Thrilling roller mat also good

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back