Which hanna phosphate checker should I get?

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2022
Messages
37
Reaction score
17
Location
Lakeland
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I know this is a highly debated topic, and ultimately most people recommend both ultra low range checkers, but my question is for a newly set up tank where phosphate could easily be above the maximum range of the ultra low range checkers (0.9ppm i believe). Would it be better to get the low range checker while a tank is Cycling and stabilizing (first 6mos-1yr), and then buy the more accurate ultra low version later on down the road.
 
I have the low-range Hanna HI713. It tests from 0.0 to 2.5ppm and is accurate to within ±0.04ppm. Do you need the ultra low range HI774? Not really. It tests from 0.0 to 0.90ppm with an accuracy of ±0.02ppm. I'd rather know if my phosphates exceed 0.90ppm as opposed to a higher degree of accuracy on what the actual number is. As long as they're not 0 and not above 1.0 I'm generally happy.
 
I'm on the same boat. I'm still deciding which one to buy for my first hanna (phosphate) checker.
I just wanna know when the GHA starts to bloom / grow uncontrollable on display tank live rocks? Is it above 0.90 ppm or under?
 
I have the low-range Hanna HI713. It tests from 0.0 to 2.5ppm and is accurate to within ±0.04ppm. Do you need the ultra low range HI774? Not really. It tests from 0.0 to 0.90ppm with an accuracy of ±0.02ppm. I'd rather know if my phosphates exceed 0.90ppm as opposed to a higher degree of accuracy on what the actual number is. As long as they're not 0 and not above 1.0 I'm generally happy.
That's really my goal, I don't think I'm going to be chasing ULNS. Just healthy.
 
That's really my goal, I don't think I'm going to be chasing ULNS. Just healthy.
To start I dont chase ULN but I do prefer to keep my phosphates <.2 ppm as I have found thats just what my tank likes.

I read an article by BRS when I was deciding which phosphate checker I should get and I ended up getting the HI736 ULR phosphorus checker after reading it. My tank was also new when I got it and I knew the levels were going to be out of range so for the first few tests all I had to do was dilute the samples with 5mL RODI and I still got very accurate results until I figured out what my tank liked.

Heres the BRS article: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphorus-or-phosphate-testing-with-hanna-checkers
 
To start I dont chase ULN but I do prefer to keep my phosphates <.2 ppm as I have found thats just what my tank likes.

I read an article by BRS when I was deciding which phosphate checker I should get and I ended up getting the HI736 ULR phosphorus checker after reading it. My tank was also new when I got it and I knew the levels were going to be out of range so for the first few tests all I had to do was dilute the samples with 5mL RODI and I still got very accurate results until I figured out what my tank liked.

Heres the BRS article: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphorus-or-phosphate-testing-with-hanna-checkers
Very informative! Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new