Which Helio heater size for my aquarium?

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Innovative Marine 60 gallon AIO aquarium, not yet set up. I have bought the Helio 2x200W heater for it, but somebody here suggested a smaller option - so the 2x100W - may be better for this size of tank, as 2x200W could be overkill. I am totally new to this world, so was just going off the approx guidelines on the IM website of the 2x200W being for 50-100 gallons, but if this is not the best choice, I will exchange it. They are very similar in price, so the financial aspect is not a consideration, just what is best for the aquarium. I would really appreciate any opinions before I unbox everything.

The 2x200W, which I have currently:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 200w, but cut that in 1/2. So, 2 100w is a good option.
If you live in a warmer climate you can go smaller still. Like 1 50w paired with 1 100w.
There are no rules other than watts per gallon, ambient temps and how much to raise the water from it.

Edit, I see you are my neighbor, I would go with 2 100w. You might go lower wattage if you think it's overkill next time you buy.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go 2x200W - 400w is overkill, but:

1. I've found with the 2 Helios I've tried that they feel underpowered for their wattage
2. You will have a back up that can struggle but hold if one breaks down.

For comparison, I ran the Helios 100w on my IM 25 lagoon, and even with another 50w heater, it still couldn't hold temp. Meanwhile, a single 100w Eheim Jager held 80 no problem on the same tank.

My tank is in a room that gets winter drafts and also strong AC in the room, so it had it's work cut out for it.

If I am being completely honest, I would personally go with different heaters and use an inkbird. Then you get wifi notifications and can use brands I trust more than the Helios line.

OP
OP
A

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go 2x200W - 400w is overkill, but:

1. I've found with the 2 Helios I've tried that they feel underpowered for their wattage
2. You will have a back up that can struggle but hold if one breaks down.

For comparison, I ran the Helios 100w on my IM 25 lagoon, and even with another 50w heater, it still couldn't hold temp. Meanwhile, a single 100w Eheim Jager held 80 no problem on the same tank.

My tank is in a room that gets winter drafts and also strong AC in the room, so it had it's work cut out for it.

If I am being completely honest, I would personally go with different heaters and use an inkbird. Then you get wifi notifications and can use brands I trust more than the Helios line.
Yes, I am slightly regretting my choice of the Helio at this point, but as I just discovered there is a 25% restocking fee if I return it, I am thinking I need to just make this work for now unless there is a strong reason not to. I should have asked for advice on here before buying! But your post does make me feel a little better that at least I may have the right size!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is more than you need but will work just fine. IMO, Helios, are by far, the best heaters out there and I have owned just about every brand there is.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is more than you need but will work just fine. IMO, Helios, are by far, the best heaters out there and I have owned just about every brand there is.
Really?

I have honestly not had that same experience at all - I've found them overpriced and underpowered, not to mention the controller doesn't hook up to wifi.

Different strokes for different folks.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine keeps my 180 at exactly 78 degrees with zero variance and sounds an alarm if there is any variance at all. That's what I want in a heater.

OP
OP
A

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is reassuring. When I first researched and purchased, it sounded like a good choice, but now I have been hearing mostly negative reviews. I guess I will stick with what I have and keep my fingers crossed as the restocking fee is rather high and no heater gets perfect reviews.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back