Which InkBird Temp controller would you recommend?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wifi version is terrible! Cant detect change <1F.

The others work, but people need to get on the BayIte temp controller train! They are same price point and work immensely better. I replaced all 5 of my inkbirds with BayItes after trying one.
Is this the one you are recommending?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the one you are recommending?

I cant see the link, here is the hyperlink .

The catch is the stainless probe, you have to either buy a waterproof probe or silicone it, I silicone all of mine. It is well worth the hastle to have a reliable temp. controller.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The catch is the stainless probe, you have to either buy a waterproof probe or silicone it, I silicone all of mine. It is well worth the hastle to have a reliable temp. controller.
I see one outlet is for cooling? What do you do if you use two heaters?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far out of calibration is yours? Mine is within .3 of the digital thermometer I keep on the tank.
I set both at low pt 78 & high point 79 and within 2-3 hrs they BOTH drop below 77degs. - luckily I have Apex to send alarm as the Inkbird is showing 78.2 and the other 78.4. I've calibrated them multiple times to a Hanna thermometer and to Apex probes and yet the swings get wider by the hour yet Hanna & Apex read EXACTLY the same.

I went around and around with Inkbird and got nothing but "lip service". Sent them graphs, pics and even videos - but English to Chinese (with these folks) doesn't translate.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set both at low pt 78 & high point 79 and within 2-3 hrs they BOTH drop below 77degs. - luckily I have Apex to send alarm as the Inkbird is showing 78.2 and the other 78.4. I've calibrated them multiple times to a Hanna thermometer and to Apex probes and yet the swings get wider by the hour yet Hanna & Apex read EXACTLY the same.

I went around and around with Inkbird and got nothing but "lip service". Sent them graphs, pics and even videos - but English to Chinese (with these folks) doesn't translate.
That blows. There is definitely something wrong with that unit. You're not the first person to have that problem. It's got to be a quality control issue.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t know if I’ve missed it in this thread but there is now a WiFi version of the controller with both the heating and cooling controls (ITC-308 WiFi). If you look on their official website, they also sell that version with the aquarium probe (and not the metal probe).

There is an offer on at the moment which works out at $40 shipped to your door, so I’ve bought one to try out.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blows. There is definitely something wrong with that unit. You're not the first person to have that problem. It's got to be a quality control issue.
I could understand a possibility of a faulty unit, but 2 of them on 2 seperate tanks.... Btw these are the 306a's - dual heater w/dual aquarium probes

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how bout a little more details on the probe...how do u silicone it ? what differential do you use for a heater ? if I want a constant 78 deg how would I set it up ?

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’ve missed it in this thread but there is now a WiFi version of the controller with both the heating and cooling controls (ITC-308 WiFi). If you look on their official website, they also sell that version with the aquarium probe (and not the metal probe).

There is an offer on at the moment which works out at $40 shipped to your door, so I’ve bought one to try out.
Do you have a link? I can only seem to find the wifi version with the metal probe...

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That stinks... and I was about to order them.. how far does the temp fall? And does it then stabilize?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks... and I was about to order them.. how far does the temp fall? And does it then stabilize?
I wish I could tell you... Within 24 hrs I'm rec'g alarms from Apex that temps are below 77.8, I recalibrate Inkbirds and within hours they're both drifting apart. Currently I pulled them and just the Apex is controlling both tanks - STEADY AS A ROCK.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you... Within 24 hrs I'm rec'g alarms from Apex that temps are below 77.8, I recalibrate Inkbirds and within hours they're both drifting apart. Currently I pulled them and just the Apex is controlling both tanks - STEADY AS A ROCK.
Thank you.. not sure if I should even bother w the InkBird now

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two green ones (non-wifi) and a blue one and I prefer the green ones. They seem to be more responsive to temp changes and have an alarm if you go outside of your pre-determined range. They've all been running for several years.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have a link? I can only seem to find the wifi version with the metal probe...
Hopefully I’m allowed to post a link. Here it is:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve just seen there is no UK socket version so that might be why you can’t see it. I would email Inkbird and ask if they can supply a UK version; they responded to me pretty quickly when I had a query.

The other option is to check if this version has the removable probe (I can confirm that when mine arrives). If it does then you should be able to buy the aquarium probe separately and swap them over.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I can't decide between the non-wifi Inkbird that has the replaceable plastic probe and heating and cooling control, or the newer wifi version that's sold by BRS with the dual (non-replaceable) probes and no cooling control.

I currently have the Seneye to warn me about temperature issues, though I am not sure I want to replace slides forever (and so may stop using at some point), so having the wifi functionality on an ink bird would be great. However, I would also like the cooling option for the summer, as last year the tank got a bit toasty during the heat waves we had in the UK (no air con here!). Plus the probe is replaceable.

Hence, I am drawn to the non-wifi version, but I wonder if this is a bit dumb – does that extra wifi functionality outweigh the downsides of the non-replaceable probe/no cooling? I guess I could also buy a wifi temp probe if I decide to stop using the Seneye, which are about the same price as three slides...

Cheers,

Chris
Spend a little more and get a Rancho controller. They are designed for industrial heating and cooling applications and wii last longer than 2 or 3 inkbirds.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend a little more and get a Rancho controller. They are designed for industrial heating and cooling applications and wii last longer than 2 or 3 inkbirds.
Rancho ? I think you're confusing it with the shock absorbers on your truck...lol ...it's Ranco...and yes the are way better than any chinese stink-bird.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back