Which InkBird Temp controller would you recommend?

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I can't decide between the non-wifi Inkbird that has the replaceable plastic probe and heating and cooling control, or the newer wifi version that's sold by BRS with the dual (non-replaceable) probes and no cooling control.

I currently have the Seneye to warn me about temperature issues, though I am not sure I want to replace slides forever (and so may stop using at some point), so having the wifi functionality on an ink bird would be great. However, I would also like the cooling option for the summer, as last year the tank got a bit toasty during the heat waves we had in the UK (no air con here!). Plus the probe is replaceable.

Hence, I am drawn to the non-wifi version, but I wonder if this is a bit dumb – does that extra wifi functionality outweigh the downsides of the non-replaceable probe/no cooling? I guess I could also buy a wifi temp probe if I decide to stop using the Seneye, which are about the same price as three slides...

Cheers,

Chris

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wifi version is supposed to have a redundant relay for powering off a heater. Nice safety feature if I am understanding it correctly.
The wifi/app isn’t necessary for anything other than notifications (which your Seneye should cover), but it did made setup a bit easier (didn’t need the manual to look up 2 letter acronyms during setup).

The cooling is handy on the other one if you need it.

I have both. I would get the wifi one if you don’t occasionally need cooling.

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wifi version is supposed to have a redundant relay for powering off a heater. Nice safety feature if I am understanding it correctly.
The wifi/app isn’t necessary for anything other than notifications (which your Seneye should cover), but it did made setup a bit easier (didn’t need the manual to look up 2 letter acronyms during setup).

The cooling is handy on the other one if you need it.

I have both. I would get the wifi one if you don’t occasionally need cooling.
Thanks for the reply!

I think having that extra cooling ability would be really useful in summer as last year my tank got up to about 32 during the peak of the heatwave. At the time I didn't have corals but now I can imagine it'd be a real issue.

Do you use the cooling function on yours? I am envisaging plugging in a cooling fan into it though I've not tried this before.

ryewalk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one with the cooling option. Saves an outlet on my apex. Set up is very easy once you read the instructions.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a toasty tank.

Occasionally in the summer my tank would get up to 26C - 27C and I had a fan plugged in to get back down to 25C.
It worked great.

Will a fan be enough to cool you down from 32C?

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a toasty tank.

Occasionally in the summer my tank would get up to 26C - 27C and I had a fan plugged in to get back down to 25C.
It worked great.

Will a fan be enough to cool you down from 32C?
I may be remembering wrong to be honest, but I remember it was quite high on a couple of the hottest days.

Cheers!

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one with the cooling option. Saves an outlet on my apex. Set up is very easy once you read the instructions.
I watched some YT videos and it looks straight forward. One thing I was unsure about is the temperature differential. I think the lowest setting is 1. Does that mean if it's set to 25 it'll go up to 26 and down to 24 before coming on? Or is that up to 25.5 and down to 24.5.

Cheers,

Chris

ryewalk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is set to 78 for heat so it’ll drop to 77 and turn on the heater till it gets back to 78 and then turns off again.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just comes down to what meets your needs. I've personally benefited from the alarms in practice as I've run into an issue before with heating. I also use two heaters, so I need both to be heating related. So you use an aquarium controller at all? I'd you don't I can see where this might be a more difficult choice. I do like the convenience of setting everything thru the app rather than the device.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the dual WiFi units and I HATE them. Sure access is easy but something Inkbird does not tell folks, when they calibrate them at the factory, they calibrate them in OIL not water. My point is the temps swing wildly and out of calibration within hours.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wifi version is terrible! Cant detect change <1F.

The others work, but people need to get on the BayIte temp controller train! They are same price point and work immensely better. I replaced all 5 of my inkbirds with BayItes after trying one.

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is set to 78 for heat so it’ll drop to 77 and turn on the heater till it gets back to 78 and then turns off again.
I read a bit more and realize now that it heats up to your set temp and then the heat differential is about how much you allow it cool, which can be set as low as .3C/1F.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the dual WiFi units and I HATE them. Sure access is easy but something Inkbird does not tell folks, when they calibrate them at the factory, they calibrate them in OIL not water. My point is the temps swing wildly and out of calibration within hours.
Mine runs flawless. No swings.

How big is your tank, and how many watts is your heater?

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wifi version is terrible! Cant detect change <1F.

The others work, but people need to get on the BayIte temp controller train! They are same price point and work immensely better. I replaced all 5 of my inkbirds with BayItes after trying one.
I have had the impression from reading that people with issues seem more often than not to have the wifi version, whereas the older versions seem to be more accurate! I'll check out Bayltes, thanks!

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just comes down to what meets your needs. I've personally benefited from the alarms in practice as I've run into an issue before with heating. I also use two heaters, so I need both to be heating related. So you use an aquarium controller at all? I'd you don't I can see where this might be a more difficult choice. I do like the convenience of setting everything thru the app rather than the device.

No, I don't have a controller. So far I've gotten by with the seneye and a single head wifi doser. I think I will go with non-wifi as I also like the idea that my alert system (seneye) is independent of the heat controller (inkbird), as I guess the inkbird could totally fail and then not report that failure.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For peace of mind, do yourself a favor and check out ranco, and the baylte the fan boy in here mentioned. There are a ton of temp controllers on the market that seldom get a spot light on this forum. I'm not at the point yet that I'm convinced that narrow of a band (less than a degree temp swing over a 24hr period) is such a big deal in practice. In theory I get the idea, it makes sense.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back