Which Iwaki should I get?

You do not mention anything about the plumbing on the return pump. I am going to assume its 1" pipe, since that is what most people would have. If you find the 55 isn't enough, you may want to consider upsizing to 1 1/2" pipe (obviously you would need adapters on both ends). I have used PanWorld pumps on my basement sumps for decades (they last for decades unlike most of the disposables today). When I upsize to 1 1/2" flex from 1" I reliably see a 20% increase in flow. Something to keep in mind.
Hi, Yes I use 1" pipe. I guess it would be easier for me to get the bigger pump like 70 than upgrade the pipes :)
 
If you do decide to go with a AC pump make sure you get a whole hose surge arrestor for your service entrance. I had a 1HP blue line pump, the power went out and the pump got fried, when i OHM the winding out it was grounded. The arrestor will protect any electronic in the house. Its worth the investment.
 
Hi, Yes I use 1" pipe. I guess it would be easier for me to get the bigger pump like 70 than upgrade the pipes :)
Bigger pipe will increase the volume of water but will decrease the pressure. I would stick to 1" and use a gate valve.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 46 33.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new