Which jellies?

cassie_culp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling a jelly tank for quite a while now and things in life have finally calmed down enough to let me put some jellies in there.

I’ve been looking at the rainbow bay nettles, but am wanting to know if someone has any other species that they’ve enjoyed or cautionary tales regarding the nettles.

Thanks guys!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling a jelly tank for quite a while now and things in life have finally calmed down enough to let me put some jellies in there.

I’ve been looking at the rainbow bay nettles, but am wanting to know if someone has any other species that they’ve enjoyed or cautionary tales regarding the nettles.

Thanks guys!
I didn’t realize home aquarists were keeping Chrysaora jellies…I thought their large size and needing to eat other jellies made it too difficult. Coral magazine did an issue on jellies, including one I wrote on pacific sea nettles:

Jay

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t realize home aquarists were keeping Chrysaora jellies…I thought their large size and needing to eat other jellies made it too difficult. Coral magazine did an issue on jellies, including one I wrote on pacific sea nettles:

Jay
Over the past few years they’ve definitely become more popular they just need a special tank. Here’s one of the first companies and most well-known to make it mainstream. https://www.jellyfishart.com/

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there was a jellyfish tank at Reefapaloza New York

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've never kept jellies before, Moon jellies are the easiest as well as the most available. The cooler the water, the longer they live. They eat mainly plankton, so live baby brine and other small frozen foods like rotifers are a good idea.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few years they’ve definitely become more popular they just need a special tank. Here’s one of the first companies and most well-known to make it mainstream. https://www.jellyfishart.com/

Yes - that company has been selling moon jellies for quite some time, but the OP asked about sea nettles - those grow a lot larger, and have specific food requirements and I didn't know that species was being kept in homes. The sea nettle tank I designed was about 1000 gallons.

Jay

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - that company has been selling moon jellies for quite some time, but the OP asked about sea nettles - those grow a lot larger, and have specific food requirements and I didn't know that species was being kept in homes. The sea nettle tank I designed was about 1000 gallons.

Jay
Oh! Okay thanks!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks guys!
I would only use a Kreisel tank design since it mimics ocean flow patterns much better than others. Moons are probably the easiest to keep and do well with enriched Naups. Good luck.

Last edited:

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've never kept jellies before, Moon jellies are the easiest as well as the most available. The cooler the water, the longer they live. They eat mainly plankton, so live baby brine and other small frozen foods like rotifers are a good idea.
Would be very interested in your feedback! I bought one of these from jellyfishart today. I suspect its a delivery service but would be interesting to know more.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to know there are folks that know their Medusozoan from their elbows in the forum....

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be very interested in your feedback! I bought one of these from jellyfishart today. I suspect its a delivery service but would be interesting to know more.
Use to work at an aquarium that had a touch tank of them. The water was kept at about 60F, but you can do room temp (68-72F) and they should do fine. They got live baby brine a few times a day, and the excess/waste was siphoned out daily. Circular flow in a tank with no corners so they don't get stuck.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to work at an aquarium that had a touch tank of them. The water was kept at about 60F, but you can do room temp (68-72F) and they should do fine. They got live baby brine a few times a day, and the excess/waste was siphoned out daily. Circular flow in a tank with no corners so they don't get stuck.
The live baby brine fed to moons also must be supplemented with HUFAs or the jellies will shrink and develop bell deformities.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal QQ? If I may ask, what are HUFAs and where do I find them for purchase?

HUFAs are Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids. Live baby brine is defficient in these, and won't work as a sole diet for jellies unless you supplement. We use Selco or this product:

The trick is how to supplement it. Brine nauplii cannot feed for the first few molts, but they lose mutrition with each molt. As I reacll (my staff did this, not me) they start the enirchment at 18 hours post hatch, then 24 hours later, feed it out to the jellies. They have five jugs going at one time.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back