Which Macro Lense for Nikon 5100 DLSR

birdman1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start taking some macro photo's of my corals. Any recommendations for the Nikon 5100 DLSR? What filter to go with this lense for Blue LEDs? Thank you.

OP
OP
birdman1979

birdman1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one I'm eyeballing. I understand it does pretty well all around, not just macro work.

mwgrable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the 105, it really is an amazing lens. However, be aware of the crop factor from using an FX format lens on a DX format body. With a crop factor of 1.5x that turns the 105mm into a 157mm. Which makes it rather difficult to work with, unless you are taking single polyp shots, or have a tall tank.

OP
OP
birdman1979

birdman1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which lense would work best with my camera? I'd like to be able to photograph more than just single polyps.

mwgrable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the 40mm 2.8G, 85mm 3.5G ED VR or Tamron SP 60mm. They all have their advantages, I personally prefer a lower aperture lens over a VR lens any day. So I would start with the 60mm. If price is a concern, the 40mm is nearly half the price NEW, and would definitely be a great beginner lens.

What types of shots are you looking to get?

OP
OP
birdman1979

birdman1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to be able to zoom into the polyp level but also take close ups of a mini colony size too

mwgrable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real advantage of a macro lens is the ability to focus on a subject within a closer proximity then other lens. Most macro lenses are prime lenses (fixed focal range - so no zoom function) This is because prime lenses typically produce a sharper image with lower apertures. That being said, there are a few zoom-lenses on the market that have the ability be used as a macro lens, Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC. As you will note, the aperture on this zoom lenses is also much higher. This basically means the lens is going to take in less light when a photo is being shot, making it much harder to capture good macro shots without strong white light. To achieve close polyp shots, you will want to go for the 85mm, for colony shots you will want to go with the 40mm. That being said, you could get the 40mm, get as close as the lens will focus and crop down a little, or vice versa with the 85mm.

mwgrable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so, it has a minimum focus distance of 9 inches, so it should do pretty decent with close up shots as well as wider colony shots. The price is almost double the 40mm, but you could probably find a used 60mm for 400.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back