Which mesh net is best for a lid?

Aquagasm

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2024
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
South Wales
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm building my own lid. I've got polycarbonate cut out on the way and now I'm just looking for some mesh that I can silicone on.

I've done a bit a of research and the 2 main materials are PE and PP.

PE seems to be be the better overall choice as it's less likely to get damaged by UV, however it is still not fully UV protected, but not sure how much of a concern it truly is.

Has anyone had any issues with their lights degrading their mesh net lids?
 
I used the DIY screen door kit from Home Depot and it’s held up just fine! (I’ve had it for over a year)
 
IMG_1517.jpeg

I’ve used this product or similar product for 3+ years with not issues
 
Thanks guys, seems like polypropylene is more common then. I'll have to do a bit more research
 
if you plan to have small fish like firefish or other gobies go with 1/8" mesh. Small fish can jump right through the 1/4". I bought mine from BRS after loosing a few
 
if you plan to have small fish like firefish or other gobies go with 1/8" mesh. Small fish can jump right through the 1/4". I bought mine from BRS after loosing a few
Thanks for the advice mate. Seems like it's impossible to find 1/4" here on the UK. Trying to find alternatives
 
if you plan to have small fish like firefish or other gobies go with 1/8" mesh. Small fish can jump right through the 1/4". I bought mine from BRS after loosing a few
This is good advice. I also had a firefish make it through 1/4" mesh.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new