Which MH/T5 combo for growth and color

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently I'm using 3 400W 20 K Radiums and 2 Giesemann Aqua blue and 2 super actinics, also have Reefbrite XHO . The tank is a bit too blue and growth is slow. I am thinking about changing to a 20k radium 14K Ushio combo but having trouble deciding which T5s to compliment this arrangement
Suggestions Please

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to change the Super Actinics for ATI Blue Plus first and see what you think.
I've heard 14K hamilton halides are good bulbs too.
For the T5s I would go for ATI Blue Plus or Giesemann Actinic Blue with the 14K. Those 2 T5s are very similar.
There are so many combinations. Would be great if you could go to a LFS and check them out.
I'm not sure about the combination or supplement bulbs on this tank, but it's just amazing:

If you want to go crazy about growth you could try 6500K or 10K bulbs.
The colors will depend on the corals you've got and the position on the reef.
I still hear the very best bulbs are Radiums!
Grandis.
Grandis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and Radiums are awesome for color, just not so for growth in my experience; that's why I don't want to totally eliminate them, want them in the mix. I plan on leaving the middle MH Radium and the two end MH Ushio 14K. The Radiums are very blue to my eyes, I haven't seen the Ushio 14K. I guess I want a crisp white with a hint of blue. I hate the yellowish color like I get when the Radiums first fire up. don't want Actinics, they are not needed with the XHOs

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little over 2 months
Screenshot_20171118-200234.png
20171112_123700.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and Radiums are awesome for color, just not so for growth in my experience; that's why I don't want to totally eliminate them, want them in the mix. I plan on leaving the middle MH Radium and the two end MH Ushio 14K. The Radiums are very blue to my eyes, I haven't seen the Ushio 14K. I guess I want a crisp white with a hint of blue. I hate the yellowish color like I get when the Radiums first fire up. don't want Actinics, they are not needed with the XHOs
Another halide you could try is the Giesemann Crystal.
Get some Blue Plus and try them with the Radiums/Aquablue instead those True actinics, like I've said in my first post.
Thy that first...
Grandis.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Presently I'm using 3 400W 20 K Radiums and 2 Giesemann Aqua blue and 2 super actinics, also have Reefbrite XHO . The tank is a bit too blue and growth is slow. I am thinking about changing to a 20k radium 14K Ushio combo but having trouble deciding which T5s to compliment this arrangement
Suggestions Please

I agree that you have too much blue, I'd work to lessen that.

What ballast are you using to run your Radiums?........how you drive them can make a difference in the output and also visual ambience. An m80 ballast for example, will produce a more crisp white with a slight blue tinge.

What geismann aqua blue are you running exactly?
Are you using the geismann power chrome super actinic?

Options-

I would consider putting Coral+ bulbs in the mix. This will reduce the blue look but still supply 450nm as well as produce spectrum in green and red to benefit the corals without producing a blue look to your eyes.

don't want Actinics, they are not needed with the XHOs

The XHOs are contributing to the too blue look..............they are 450nm, The Reefbrites are only adding more visual blue………….you have more than enough 450nm for the corals.

Actinic bulbs peak at 420nm(violet). Most t5 actinics also have some green in them that give a slightly visual white look. They normally don’t make a tank look blue.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Aqua blue coral and super actinics are what I'm running now, if I turn them off and just run the Radiums and XHOs , the tank looks brighter but not the crisp white. My MH are on a Luxcore 400W adjustable ballast. My hope is that the 14K will be less blue give me good growth and the supplmental ATI blue Plus will bring it back to the radium look but not as blue

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying out an XM10k bulb. Coming from a radium, but this 10k is crisp. I might add some blue actinics to it. Probably led.

Corey

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in the planning stages of my tank the bulb I wanted to start with was the Aquaconnect 10K, which I had read was a PAR monster and you got awesome growth but these got discontinued. I found a site that had one or two but didn't know if they would get any more. I was afraid the XM 10K would be too yellow, guess that's not true

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying out an XM10k bulb. Coming from a radium, but this 10k is crisp. I might add some blue actinics to it. Probably led.

Corey
Please tell me where did you get the XM10K from?
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Aqua blue coral and super actinics are what I'm running now, if I turn them off and just run the Radiums and XHOs , the tank looks brighter but not the crisp white. My MH are on a Luxcore 400W adjustable ballast. My hope is that the 14K will be less blue give me good growth and the supplmental ATI blue Plus will bring it back to the radium look but not as blue
The Blue Plus is almost like Giesemann Actinic Blue (to the eyes and spectrum chart) and those type of bulbs were very successfully used back in the day with 10K bulbs. I'm not so sure about the Giesemann Actinic Blue compared to ATI Blue Plus in regards to PAR, but the Blue Plus is one of the best on PAR, by many people! The actinic blue bulbs were also well used with 50/50s, I remember. Good times... I started when we had Triton T8s. I'm old!!! LOL! ;Nailbiting
ATI Blue Plus is a great bulb and indispensable in my system! To use it with any halide is a plus and total blessing!! Radium being the best by many is going to be a beast with 4 Blue Plus bulbs IMO. The 14K will "brake the ice" for a nice conversation with the bulbs over your tank. Hehe. You could also try 10K if you would like "whiter".
It's so hard to talk "Ks" because every brand is totally different in that respect and we all have different tastes as well...
Having fun is the way to go...
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've made a decision, but this might help later on.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/review
Would be so great if we had an article like that about the T5 bulbs we have available today, Sr.!!
Thank you so much for the link. I don't remember seeing that article.
I think it's time to get some work done on halides and T5s.
I wish you, Dr. Sanjay and Tullio would give us more updated info on halides and T5s.
Aloha,
Grandis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back