Which Nano for me?

Rangens32466

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK

Love AIO Nano-- By Nano I mean under 30 gal. I have had success with the Biocube 14 gal.

I believe in keep it simple and just use basic mods on filtration and flow. With that being said. I watched several video's o the Biobube 16 and Fluval Evo XII plenty of stuff to consider. inTank media basket - Flow generator - new pump - etc.

Give me a shout and tell me which one and why is the better of the two? Price point already considered. This should be fun!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love my Evo but I have no experience with Biocube so can't say which is better.

You say that you've already considered price but there does seem to be a big difference. With the 25% off collection offer at Petco I only paid $120 for my Evo (it is a currently a little bit more than that now but not a lot, and their prices frequently change) which is a steal.

I like the look of the Evo and it is a nice size for me. The included LED is ok but quite white, but it's easy to remove the hood and use something else if you want to. I have no need to change the standard LED at the moment.

There are also good upgrade option. You can get Intank media baskets for chambers 1 and/or 2, and the filter section can be set up in a variety of ways, including a refugium if you want.

Build quality of mine is quite good.

The only upgrades I have done to mine is the Nicrew Pro Light Timer (essential IMO), Intank chamber 1 basket, and upgraded return pump and a VCA RFG and I don't think I need to change anything else (yet).

I'm even considering buying a second one!

I'm guessing both would work so if you're not worried about the cost it may just boil down to which one has the better dimensions for you, and which one you like the look of most.

OP
OP
Rangens32466

Rangens32466

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Evo but I have no experience with Biocube so can't say which is better.

You say that you've already considered price but there does seem to be a big difference. With the 25% off collection offer at Petco I only paid $120 for my Evo (it is a currently a little bit more than that now but not a lot, and their prices frequently change) which is a steal.

I like the look of the Evo and it is a nice size for me. The included LED is ok but quite white, but it's easy to remove the hood and use something else if you want to. I have no need to change the standard LED at the moment.

There are also good upgrade option. You can get Intank media baskets for chambers 1 and/or 2, and the filter section can be set up in a variety of ways, including a refugium if you want.

Build quality of mine is quite good.

The only upgrades I have done to mine is the Nicrew Pro Light Timer (essential IMO), Intank chamber 1 basket, and upgraded return pump and a VCA RFG and I don't think I need to change anything else (yet).

I'm even considering buying a second one!

I'm guessing both would work so if you're not worried about the cost it may just boil down to which one has the better dimensions for you, and which one you like the look of most.
Thanks this is great information. What pump do you suggest? I already have on my list two Intanks, the RFG and two blue strip lights.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have a look and see if you really need the Intank chamber 2 basket for the Evo. The water flow goes down chamber 1 and across chamber 2 to chamber 3. Chamber 2 does get flow through it (my heater is currently in there) but water doesn't flow 'along' chamber 2 like it does in chamber 1. I'm not saying don't get it; I was considering buying one to set up as a refugium but I'm a little tight on space in chamber 3 to fit my Eheim Jager heater (the return pump and ATO sensor is already in there).

Most people appear to go for either the Sicce 0.5 or the Sicce 1.0. People's preference on these 2 vary and I guess a Sicce 0.7 would be ideal but they don't make one!!

The Sicce 0.5 has been fine for me. Some people prefer the extra flow of the 1.0 but it can risk depleting the water level in the rear chambers. I went with the 0.5, specifically to avoid this, on the understanding that I would add a powerhead if I needed more flow. I did actually buy an Aqamai KPS for it but I didn't think it was necessary so I sent it back.

From what I have read, people are running this tank with anything from the stock return pump only, up to the Sicce 1.0 with MP10/Nero 5 sized powerheads and everything in between. I personally think those bigger powerheads are overkill and potentially damaging to the integrity of the tank. The Sicce 0.5 on its own is still my preference having used it.

Back