Upgrading my Fluval flex sea 32 filtration - need advise

ironmnki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to upgrade my filtration on the Fluval flex 32 sea . The stock filtration is kinda crappy and I want crystal clear water .. too many particles.

I am getting the intank baskets which will direct flow through filters better . But need to know what I should get in each level and the order of items.

So considering seachem the bags for each level.

What carbon should I get?
What filter floss? (Poly floss?)
What bio balls ? (Bio max Fluval )

Or what are your suggestions for each level in baskets? There are three in each basket

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank makes really nice floss, your lfs likely sells it on a big bulk roll and can cut a length. Mine charges by the foot and it is the cheapest I could find (other than polyfil or something)

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run floss up top, carbon, and recently some GFO temporarily to get my phosphates down. I think floss and activated carbon granules are sufficient. Flow is important and the more media the slower the flow. I use Aquatic Experts filter floss from Amazon (really like the quality and price). I also bought their media bags and create my own filter bags - I would recommend this as you can measure out the right amount for your 32g tank. If you have rock no need for bio balls (unless you want to setup a QT tank in an emergency). I'm a big fan of water changes and do a 20-30% weekly.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am trying to upgrade my filtration on the Fluval flex 32 sea . The stock filtration is kinda crappy and I want crystal clear water .. too many particles.

I am getting the intank baskets which will direct flow through filters better . But need to know what I should get in each level and the order of items.

So considering seachem the bags for each level.

What carbon should I get?
What filter floss? (Poly floss?)
What bio balls ? (Bio max Fluval )

Or what are your suggestions for each level in baskets? There are three in each basket
I have the same tank and same InTank media trays. Top is filter floss, then on one side it is chemipure blue, the other side really varies on need, mostly a small bag of carbon and sometimes maybe a small bag of seachem purigen. Third and last tray on both are maxspect bio balls. I have these in the center rear chamber as well in a bag.

I’d highly recommend upgrading the return pump, this helps out as well. I got a sicce silent 1.5 but wish I got bigger. I also bought some 3-d printed guards and blocked the lower vents on both sides.

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and same InTank media trays. Top is filter floss, then on one side it is chemipure blue, the other side really varies on need, mostly a small bag of carbon and sometimes maybe a small bag of seachem purigen. Third and last tray on both are maxspect bio balls. I have these in the center rear chamber as well in a bag.

I’d highly recommend upgrading the return pump, this helps out as well. I got a sicce silent 1.5 but wish I got bigger. I also bought some 3-d printed guards and blocked the lower vents on both sides.
Did you block the lower vents on the curved section visible from the display tank or the lower vents in the interior chamber, adjacent to the media basket? If you did the curved ones visible from the outside of the tank front how do you keep the “dead space” behind them with no flow clean of gunk? If you did the interior chamber vents where did you buy the guards?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back