Which reef industry companies are still family owned?

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is aware that private equity has taken over and already consolidated a huge chunk of the reef keeping industry. I have a finance background, so I definitely have my own experience/views about what happens (to the consumer experience, innovation, wages, outsourcing practices, pricing strategies, service, QA, etc.) once these guys get involved. I'll spare you the rant.

Is Tunze still family owned? What other companies can I put on my list?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is aware that private equity has taken over and already consolidated a huge chunk of the reef keeping industry. I have a finance background, so I definitely have my own experience/views about what happens (to the consumer experience, innovation, wages, outsourcing practices, pricing strategies, service, QA, etc.) once these guys get involved. I'll spare you the rant.

Is Tunze still family owned? What other companies can I put on my list?
We think a lot alike...does it get you into a lot of trouble too? :thinking-face:

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We think a lot alike...does it get you into a lot of trouble too? :thinking-face:

conspiracy-theory.gif

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe CoralVue (and HYDROS), although they do distribute some products that may not be family owned.

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing said list? :)

I don't even know anymore, hence why I'm asking. Used to be there were only a few big corporate brands and then everyone else was a smaller niche company. Like you could call the customer service number and the owner would often pick up.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe any of the BIG names like you said are still family owned in the small company sense like you were saying (having the owner or their spouse answer the phone)
Everything now is corporate in some form or another even of they aren’t owned by a big conglomerate

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is still owned by members of the Tunze family but id say it’s far from a family company at this point.

No corperate entity is a family business in my mind. Those 2 things are diametrically opposed to me.

Others may view it differently since someone with the name Tunze is still around but that’s left to each person.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While sicce is a big company, I'm pretty sure its still owned by the same family that started it. I saw a livestream with Jay Wilson and he discussed how the family is still heavily involved in the company and how all the kids work at the company.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe many coral vendors are still family owned.

As for dry goods, for our purposes, I classify small corporate as good enough for family owned. Such as SaltwaterAquarium.com, Tunze, Geissman, Hamilton, etc. I’d rather support small corporate than mega corporate though sometimes there’s no other choice

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a retailer, not a manufacturer, but I try to support Premium Aquatics https://premiumaquatics.com/ whenever I can. They feel smaller to me, but I guess I can't actually vouch for the size. The brick and mortar store is only about an hour away from me, and they have fantastic customer service.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back