Which RFG(s) for a Nuvo 30L?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM Nuvo 30L Pro will be arriving today, and I'm finishing out my "parts" list, but I'm stuck on the RFGs I want. I'll be using the stock Mighty Jet (538gph) pump and, by default, the tank has 2 returns (t-connector from the single pump). What I can't decide is if I want to run a pair of 1/2" RFGs, or if I want to run 4x 1/4" RFGs. The pump has plenty of power to run either configuration, but I'm thinking that 4x 1/4" would allow me to "break up" the flow more across the whole tank without turning it into a whirlpool.

The tank will be a mixed reef with an anemone and soft corals to start. I'll be adding more as I go, of course. So I'm thinking that the multiple smaller RFGs will lessen the the turbulence for the lower-flow softies (Zoas, mushrooms, etc).

To complicate things even more, I also have an AI Nero 3 coming on Thursday (with my 2x Prime 16HDs). I was thinking of adding that at one end to give the 'nem some extra flow and have different "flow zones" in the tank, if that makes sense.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking it? Any flaws in my logic? Anything I'm not thinking of?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 4. To me the more random the flow the better. Have you looked into the IM Aqua gadget spin stream nozzle. I just added one to my return on my frag tank and it rotates slowly changing the direction of the flow. Super easy to install, has a rubber union between the return nozzle and the Aqua gadget.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 4. To me the more random the flow the better. Have you looked into the IM Aqua gadget spin stream nozzle. I just added one to my return on my frag tank and it rotates slowly changing the direction of the flow. Super easy to install, has a rubber union between the return nozzle and the Aqua gadget.
I have never tried them, but they look interesting. The one thing I really like about the RFG is that there are no moving parts, though.

I first used one in a 9g nano as the only source of flow with a larger sized return pump. It's working really well. Everything seems happy. But that tank is small and more cube-ish as opposed to the long and skinny 30L.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried them, but they look interesting. The one thing I really like about the RFG is that there are no moving parts, though.

I first used one in a 9g nano as the only source of flow with a larger sized return pump. It's working really well. Everything seems happy. But that tank is small and more cube-ish as opposed to the long and skinny 30L.
the other thing with the Aqua gadget is they are a bit bulky, don't really notice/care in my frag tank, but in a display would probably be more noticeable.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do two 1/2". It will look cleaner and will give plenty of random flow. The water leaves the nozzles at 30 degree angles. I ran one 1/2" on a Reefer Nano with a 790gph pump as the sole source of flow and it worked well. Less nozzles will increase the flow at each nozzle, thus increasing the random changing of direction of the flow. I found with less flow the random effect was less pronounced. They work better with more flow. It won't be too much for your tank.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM Nuvo 30L Pro will be arriving today, and I'm finishing out my "parts" list, but I'm stuck on the RFGs I want. I'll be using the stock Mighty Jet (538gph) pump and, by default, the tank has 2 returns (t-connector from the single pump). What I can't decide is if I want to run a pair of 1/2" RFGs, or if I want to run 4x 1/4" RFGs. The pump has plenty of power to run either configuration, but I'm thinking that 4x 1/4" would allow me to "break up" the flow more across the whole tank without turning it into a whirlpool.

The tank will be a mixed reef with an anemone and soft corals to start. I'll be adding more as I go, of course. So I'm thinking that the multiple smaller RFGs will lessen the the turbulence for the lower-flow softies (Zoas, mushrooms, etc).

To complicate things even more, I also have an AI Nero 3 coming on Thursday (with my 2x Prime 16HDs). I was thinking of adding that at one end to give the 'nem some extra flow and have different "flow zones" in the tank, if that makes sense.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking it? Any flaws in my logic? Anything I'm not thinking of?
I would say that @squareriggersailor hit the nail on the head - the two 1/2in Random Flow Generator nozzle will likely do better in terms of creating randomized flow given the size return pump you'll be running in your tank.

the 1/4in RFG do work well, but they are much more restrictive when it comes to throughput. They may also create a more jet-like flow with your pump turned up. The 1/2in RFGs on th eother hand would have a slower pulse-like flow at the flow rates your pump can supply.

You'll definitely want to take a look a the suggested flow rates for each size RFG.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back