Which ro/di filter do I have?

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spectrapure ro/di filter but I’m not sure which one I actually have (ratings and whatnot). I’m new to ro, I’ve always just purchased mine from a store. I acquired this one in a tank purchase though. All I can see on it is “aqua-st-kit”. I see it was made in 16 but no other model number. My main concern is finding replacement filters, but also how many gpd does it produce?
4ACDE9C9-3F62-4C23-B8C6-8CAAA812433E.jpeg
9408614D-CEC4-4B1E-8900-93B6FBC17102.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should say gpd on the membrane itself. The other parts look to be standard other than the top cartridge. Is the third canister on the bottom right filled with DI resin or is it a second carbon block?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact spectrapure and they could tell you what it orginally had but you could put whatever you wanted as long as you match the flow restrictor with the membrane.

The filter on the top looks like it was added not sure what it is. The others are just standard 10" filter housings sediment, carbon, DI.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check on that in a bit, but I googled the item number for the one on top and it’s an in-line sediment filter. Is that not normal to have? Should I keep that or no? And what goes into the horizontal one below that?

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is this a 3 stage, or would it be 4 with the horizontal filter on top (not counting the one that looks like it was added on).

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check on that in a bit, but I googled the item number for the one on top and it’s an in-line sediment filter. Is that not normal to have? Should I keep that or no? And what goes into the horizontal one below that?

That might have been added for a water system that had high sediment. The membrane is in the housing below that.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply 6 Stage 75 GPD RO/DI. I Couldn’t be happier with it. There was some very minor assembly, I mounted it to a Varnished Board so I could move it. I started it on April 1, 2019. I added a Booster Pump and Pre-pump strainer, later on. This was due to the low output, I’m on a well. August 8, 2020 I added the second RO Membrane, for 150GPD. Also I replaced the First Sediment Filter. It‘s TDS Meter has probably drifted a bit upward. The discharge reads 1, but my handheld reads 0. My setup is filling 5 Gallon Carboys, and rotating them. I always keep drinking water and none RO/DI reserve water on hand for the toilets. If we loose power, we have no water.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to tell for sure is to look at the label on the membrane. That is what determines the GPD. If it were mine I'd consider starting with all new filters & membrane since you have no idea how old they are.

They're standard 10" filters you can get anywhere. From left to right they are: sediment - carbon - DI resin. For the membrane you'll need to find out what GPD your system is set for. It's possible to put a higher GPD membrane in but then you'd also need to get the right flow restrictor. You can always upgrade later on.

If you're not on a well then I'd get rid of the top cylinder. You won't need it and again you don't know the actual condition of it. You might also want to get an in-line TDS meter so you know the purity of the water it's producing (0 TDS is desired) and when to change your filters & resin.

BRS has replacement filter kits, membranes, etc.. At the very least, they also have a bunch of info and videos on RoDi systems.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takitaj, that is exactly what I was thinking. Just didn’t k is what filters to get. But seems like they’re pretty much just a standard size

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back