Which RO/DI system should I choose?

Parkerbenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to transition over to RO/DI for my 75g FOWLR (with a few cheap zoas to test things out, my tap water is fine but id like to one day have some awesome corals).

The thing is, the nearest water line is under a sink in my bathroom (which is right across from my room.) Soo, I would have to run a RO/DI line into an empty 75g tank I have IN my room, and fill it as needed. I do not think I can leave the line laying on the floor, so I will just coil up the tubing (only need 10, maybe 15') when not in use.

I am looking at the BRS 4 stage 150 or 200 gpd value water saver unit. Any thoughts on these? Or suggestions for a comparable unit with a similar (better yet cheaper) price?

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to transition over to RO/DI for my 75g FOWLR (with a few cheap zoas to test things out, my tap water is fine but id like to one day have some awesome corals).

The thing is, the nearest water line is under a sink in my bathroom (which is right across from my room.) Soo, I would have to run a RO/DI line into an empty 75g tank I have IN my room, and fill it as needed. I do not think I can leave the line laying on the floor, so I will just coil up the tubing (only need 10, maybe 15') when not in use.

I am looking at the BRS 4 stage 150 or 200 gpd value water saver unit. Any thoughts on these? Or suggestions for a comparable unit with a similar (better yet cheaper) price?
Im very happy with my buckeye. They are quite customizable and offer the best quality for the price imo

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would definately second @cromag27 's suggestion but It would be good to know what kind of water you're dealing with before purchasing a system. You need to look into what your city uses in there water, chlorine or chloramines and if possible what TDS you might be dealing with as well. I had to have my system in my bathroom as well and this is what I did to make it work...
downloadfile-22.jpg
downloadfile-18.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A portable RODI can hook up to a faucet when needed and then removed and stored away when not in use. While I don't have one, I do like the BRS units because you can see the media and they are easy to change, and you can expand them if your needs change. Also, I believe they use cartridges that can handle chloramine and chlorine so you needn't worry about your water supply or if the municipality changes methods.

Before anything, get a TDS meter and check your tap. BRS recommends using pre-filters if your TDS is high. Additionally, they TDS meter will let you know when to change cartridges. They have options to installs meters along the lines.

here is there video explaining all this better than I can

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS 7 stage pro 200 gpd and I love it.

OP
OP
P

Parkerbenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My citys water supply publishes yearly water reports, with very detailed info of each "contaminant." Chlorine is 1.12 ppm on average, and my tap TDS is 82ppm (highest I have seen is 107)out of the faucet I will be using. This is city water, so I think the 4 stage will be fine, or should I get the 5 stage?

@JoshH wow thats a nice setup, super easy to change out membranes too!

Edit: Sorry for the late response, I tried to send this message 8 hours ago but it decided not to send :/ Thanks for all of the responses!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My citys water supply publishes yearly water reports, with very detailed info of each "contaminant." Chlorine is 1.12 ppm on average, and my tap TDS is 82ppm (highest I have seen is 107)out of the faucet I will be using. This is city water, so I think the 4 stage will be fine, or should I get the 5 stage?

@JoshH wow thats a nice setup, super easy to change out membranes too!

Edit: Sorry for the late response, I tried to send this message 8 hours ago but it decided not to send :/ Thanks for all of the responses!

You shouldn't have any issues with a 4 stage but a 5 stage would give you the option of running dual DI or dual carbon blocks if you wanted. These aren't necessary but are a nice bonus for swapping out filters. And yes my set up made general maintenance and dealing with filters SUPER easy which was great and it didn't look to bad atall. Its something you could even improve on drilling fittings into the side of the cabinet and being able to plug in and unplug the waste and product lines when not in use. You could even store both inside the cabinet as well.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most 5 stages have better sediment filters as well. At least the ones I e seen the 4 stages have 5 micron where the 5 stages have 1 micron sediment filters.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back